Interesting Climate Statistics for US Mountain Summits

Page Type Page Type: Fact Sheet

Introduction

I thought these statistics could be interesting for climbers. Here are some climate statistics for several mountains in the United States (arranged from coldest to warmest for lack of any better way to do it).

There are only a few mountain tops with weather statistics and most of them are located in the Eastern USA. There have been at one time several peaks in the Western US with weather data, but few of the weather stations below are currently operating, though the data is still available if you dig hard enough for it.

Temperatures

Denali is not surprisingly by far the coldest of all the mountain tops in the United States. In fact, during summer Denali is still colder than any location in the lower 48 is during winter. It is also the coldest place in the world outside Antarctica.

Obviously Mount Rainier is by far the coldest of all these mountain tops in the lower 48. Interestingly though, Mount Rainier is about the same temperature in winter as Pikes Peak or Mount Washington. It is however, much colder in summer.

Mount Evans and Pikes Peak are much farther south than Mount Rainier, but I assume that the Pacific air on Mount Rainier keeps the mountain “milder”, temperature wise in winter than it would otherwise be. Mount Rainier is by far a much wetter and stormier mountain (precipitation wise) than Pikes Peak. Average annual precipitation at the summit is around 85 inches, which is significantly lower than the average of 117 inches of precipitation at Paradise Ranger Station at 5500 feet. Mount Washington averages near 99 inches, but the summers are too “warm” for glaciers to form.   Locations such as White Mountain Peak (California), White Mountain 2 (California), Pikes Peak (Colorado), and Climax/Fremont Pass (Colorado) sit in rain shadows, and are thus very dry considering the altitude.  The mountains around Alta and Snowbird (such as Mount Baldy with an estimated average annual snowfall of 732 inches) Utah are probably the snowiest locations in the Rocky Mountains and snowfall compares well to the snowiest locations in the Cascades, though water content is much lower, and permanent snow and glaciers are almost non-existent, with only a few small remnants remaining.

White Mountain Peak in California is colder than Mt Washington on average, but is a little warmer than Mount Washington in winter. It is still warmer than one might expect, but part of that may be attributed to the fact that temperatures in the area have been on the hot side since data has been available. On average, White Mountain 2 at a lower elevation is as cold as Mount Washington. However, it is also “warmer” in winter and cooler in the summer than Mount Washington.

Mount Mitchell is much warmer than these other peaks, but interestingly the all time record low (-34) is almost as cold as the other locations (except Denali). Mount Washington has recorded temperatures down to -47, Mount Evans down to -40, Pikes Peak down to -39, Mount Mansfield down to -39, Mount Rainier down to -36, and White Mountain 2 down to -35. All these mountains only have a span of 13 degrees between their all time record lows.  

As far as extremes on Denali go, an old minimum gauge thermometer left on the summit of plunged to -95. Since the thermometer sat on the ground, it isn't official, but temperatures have been thought to drop at least to -77. Another thermometer was placed at 15,000 feet by the U.S. Army Natick Laboratory, and was there from 1950 to 1969. The coldest temperature recorded during that period was −100. In the summer, it is likely that the summit never reaches freezing.
 
Records for Mount Mitchell, Mount Washington, and Mount Mansfield span many decades, while the other mountains have record for much less time.
 
The longest period for a high elevation Western US mountain top belongs to White Mountain 2 where data was collected for 25 years.   Some of the mountain passes in Colorado have records for longer than this.  If you count Western Texas as part of the Western US, Mount Locke has a very long period of record, but it isn't as high as many other mountains in the Western US.  It is about as high as the highest mountains in the Eastern US though and makes an interesting comparison.  
 
Annual Temperatures:
PEAK STATE ANNUAL ELEVATION
Denali AK -28.0  20,320
Mount Rainier WA 11.9  14,411
Longs Peak CO 16.8  14,261
Mount Evans CO 18.0  14,148
Pikes Peak CO 18.8  14,115
Uinta Mountains UT 20.0  13,123
White Mountain Peak CA 23.3  14,252
Camp Muir WA 27.0  10,110
White Mountain 2 CA 27.5 12,470
Mount Washington NH 28.0  6288
Berthoud Pass CO 29.1  11,310
Climax (Fremont Pass)  CO 30.1  11,360
Mount Baldy UT 30.5  11,068
Mount Mansfield VT 34.3  4393
Blowhard Mountain UT 34.6  10,700
Mount Fanny OR 35.8  7020
Mauna Kea HI 36.3  13,796
Mount Spokane WA 36.6  5890
Sandia Crest NM 37.4 10,678
Sunrise Mountain AZ 38.8  9360
Mount La Conte TN 42.7  6593
Mount Mitchell NC 44.6  6634
Mauna Loa Slope HI 44.7  11,140
Grandfather Mountain NC 46.3  5945
Haleakala HI 46.7  9960
Mount Locke  TX 58.0  6790

Wind Speed

Unfortunately, wind speed data is hard to obtain for most of these mountains. Of all these mountains, Mount Washington is the only one with long term wind data. Other than wind data for Mount Washington, I could also find it for Pikes Peak, Mount Evans, and Longs Peak in Colorado; White Mountain Peak in California; and Camp Muir in Washington. Longs Peak and Mount Washington are about the same in wind speed and both are significantly windier than Pikes Peak. Mount Evans compares fairly well with Longs Peak and Mount Washington, but the extreme wind speeds are much lower.  
 
Mount Rainier might be the windiest place in the lower 48, but average wind speeds come from an interpolation, rather than measured data. Mount Washington had a record wind gust of 231 mph on April 12 1934. Longs Peak had a record wind gust of 201 mph in 1981, but the station only lasted a short time.  2000 feet lower than Longs Peak, Trail Ridge, north of Longs Peak has recorded gusts of 157 mph, also in 1981. Unfortunately, Long Peak doesn’t have any actual temperature measurements compiled (at least that I know of); only wind, so wind chills are hard to compare. More than likely, Long Peak is similar in temperatures to Pikes Peak and Mount Evans, but a little colder.  
 
Temperatures below are only estimates based on readings from the other 14er weather stations and comparing it to Longs Peak's location.  During the period of record, Pikes Peak had an estimated maximum wind gust of 150 mph, but the anemometer blew away 112 mph.   Mount Evans has recorded wind speeds of  123 mph (some sources report a gust of 150+ mph, but I can't find when this was recorded), which is significantly less than that of Mount Washington or Longs Peak, but the period of record for the maximum wind gust was only 1994-1996.  Had the period of record  been longer, the maximum wind gust would likely be higher.   
 
Hidden Peak (Utah) next to Mount Baldy has recorded wind speeds of 124 mph on November 8 1986, but wind readings are only taken sporadically.  White Mountain Peak is about in the average range between all these mountain tops, but has recorded winds over 150 mph on several days. The highest wind speed recorded was 162 mph on December 19 2008.
 
Supposedly Grandfather Mountain recorded a 200 mph wind gust in January 2006, but this is not an official figure since the roof of the building on which the gauge was placed was suspected to have an amplifying effect.  The highest official wind speed on Grandfather Mountain was 121 mph in December 2012. Grandfather Mountain must have data for average wind speed somewhere, but I have been unable to find it.  Computer models have predicted that maximum wind gust on Denali have exceeded 300 mph (such as during the storm that wiped out the Wilcox Expedition), but of course such a figure is a calculated estimate rather than an actual measurement.
 
The Camp Muir data comes from actual data from the weather station at Camp Muir, but no period of record is given.  The Mount Rainier wind data is an interpolation of the Camp Muir data. It seems no wind data is available for the other summits listed below. It would be interesting to see how windy the other high peaks in the Cascades or California are compared with the Rockies or Appalachians. 
 
Peak Average Wind Speed
Mount Rainier 36.3
Mount Washington 34.9
Longs Peak 34.3
Mount Evans 31.5
White Mountain Peak 26.5
Pikes Peak 21.2
Camp Muir 20.5

Denali, Alaska (20,320 feet)

Month Ave High Ave Low Rec High Rec Low
JAN -33 -43 ? -77
JUL -3 -13 30 -23

Source: Statistics are from the book Skywatch West by Richard A Keen, page 247 and are based on weather balloon data. Unfortunately only January and July info is available. The -23F figure for July comes from the Weather Station located at 19,000 feet.

Mount Rainier, Washington (14,411 feet)

Month High Low Precip (in) Ave Wind Speed (mph)
JAN 7 -3 13.08 39.0
FEB 9 -2 8.54 38.1
MAR 11 -2 9.83 44.1
APR 17 2 6.97 36.5
MAY 22 6 4.04 30.8
JUN 26 10 3.20 29.7
JUL 33 15 1.35 30.3
AUG 32 14 1.28 32.8
SEP 28 12 3.18 23.7
OCT 20 7 6.63 31.0
NOV 14 2 13.53 49.8
DEC 8 -2 13.29 49.8

Source: National Park Service, courtesy of University of Washington. Period of Record: Various studies from 1960-2016.  The most current study ended in 2016. Precipitation estimates are from Prism Data.

Longs Peak, Colorado (14,261 feet)

Month Ave High Ave Low Precip (in) Ave Wind Speed (mph)
Jan 6 -6 4.66 45.0
Feb 9 -5 4.86 39.7
Mar 12 -3 5.20 43.2
Apr 18 3 6.15 37.0
May 26 12 4.13 38.5
Jun 37 23 3.12 32.0
Jul 46 32 3.19 21.1
Aug 46 31 3.27 21.3
Sep 37 22 2.94 27.7
Oct 26 12 3.52 33.7
Nov  14 2 4.91 36.7
Dec 9 -5 5.21 35.4

Period of Record: 1981 only for annual average wind speed and max wind speed. Annual Wind speed max and average taken in 1981.  Monthly values interpolated by comparing wind data from 1981.  Temperatures interpolated from Mount Evans and Pikes Peak stations.  Precipitation estimates are from Prism Data.

Mount Evans, Colorado (14,148 feet)

Annual Rec High Rec Low Ave Wind Speed (mph)
18.0 65 -40 31.5

Source: Meyer-Womble Observatory, University of Denver Observatories. Unfortunately, only annual temperature and records are given. Period of Record: 1991 to present.

Pikes Peak, Colorado (14,115 feet)

Month Ave High Ave Low Rec High Rec Low Average Days of Precipitation Precip (in)  Ave Wind Speed (mph)
Jan 8 -4 30 -37 9 days of snow  1.56 27.7
Feb 11 -3 29 -37 9-10 days of snow  1.39 24.5
Mar 14 -1 43 -29 10 days of snow  2.11 26.7
Apr 20 5 39 -21 12-13 days of snow  3.78 22.9
May 28 14 47 -8 17 days of snow; some rain  3.68 23.8
Jun 39 25 63 2 9 days of snow; 9 days of hail  1.77 19.8
Jul 48 34 64 18 7 days of snow; 15 days of hail or rain  4.46 13.0
Aug 48 33 62 15 9 days of snow; 19 days of hail or rain  3.92 13.2
Sep 39 24 55 6 10 days of snow; 5 days of hail or rain  1.77 17.1
Oct 28 14 47 -17 8-9 days of snow  1.41 20.8
Nov 16 4 36 -36 9-10 days of snow  1.84 22.7
Dec 11 -3 30 -39 10-11 days of snow  1.49 21.9
Other info: Pikes Peak averages 553 inches of snow per year. Source: United States Army Signal Corps; courtesy of Larry Dunn. Annual snowfall stats above are from the book Skywatch West by Richard A Keen, page 248. Extremes came from the Bulletin, Part 3 from the United States Weather Bureau. Period of Record: 1873-1888 and sporadically in recent years. Daily highs and lows are currently being taken again on the site below: Pikes Peak Summit Weather

Uinta Mountains, Utah (13,123 feet)

Month High High Precip (in)
JAN  11 -4 3.03
FEB  13 -2 3.15
MAR  16 1 3.88
APR  24 8 3.95
MAY  32 15 3.95
JUN  42 22 2.73
JUL  52 29 2.70
AUG  50 28 3.29
SEP  42 21 3.36
OCT  31 12 3.70
NOV  19 5 3.15
DEC  14 0 2.82

Source: Interpolation from Mesowest Data, Chepeta Station (CHPU1). Period of Record: 1998-2015

White Mountain Peak, California (14,252 feet)

Month Ave High Ave Low Rec High Rec Low Ave Wind Speed (mph) Max Wind Speed
Jan 14 4 38 -27 30.9 160
Feb 17 7 43 -19 33.0 153
Mar 19 8 45 -15 31.5 146
Apr 23 9 42 -17 28.2 158
May 31 17 53 -8 27.6 146
Jun 42 27 62 0 22.7 131
Jul 50 35 62 23 15.5 85
Aug 48 33 61 14 18.7 106
Sep 42 27 58 -1 20.1 115
Oct 32 19 57 -9 25.3 154
Nov 21 10 42 -17 31.6 148
Dec 17 6 37 -21 33.6 162
Source: White Mountain Research Center, University of California. Period of Record: 2003 to 2018.  Unfortunately the weather station (or website?) started having problems in 2018.  Hopefully it will be fixed.  

Camp Muir, Washington (10,110 feet)

MONTH

Ave High

Ave Low Rec High Rec Low Precip (in)  Av Wind Speed (mph)
JAN 22 10 41 -11  17.79 22.0
FEB 21 8 49 -12  11.49 21.5
MAR 23 10 48 -4  14.27 24.9
APR 28 16 57 -6  10.02 20.6
MAY 36 24 54 1  5.43 17.4
JUN 41 30 67 4  4.13 16.8
JUL 48 38 67 19  1.69 17.1
AUG 50 39 63 24  1.82 18.5
SEP 41 31 64 7  4.58 13.4
OCT 35 23 57 0  9.49 17.5
NOV 27 15 51 -4  19.19 28.1
DEC 22 10 48 -14  19.23 28.1

Source: Northwest Avalanche Center. Period of Record 2014-2022.  Precipitation estimates are from Prism Data. Note: Some of the January data was eliminated from the averages since the weather station was having problems. 

White Mountain 2, California (12,470 feet)

Month Ave High Ave Low Rec High Rec Low Precip (in) Snowfall (in)
Jan 23 7 47 -25 2.00 20.2
Feb 23 7 52 -21 1.70 19.5
Mar 24 7 46 -35 2.17 19.5
Apr 28 10 50 -30 1.88 20.8
May 36 19 59 -15 1.98 21.5
Jun 46 29 66 2 0.82 7.0
Jul 54 36 72 12 1.09 1.3
Aug 53 35 73 13 1.11 1.0
Sep 48 30 61 -5 0.87 3.5
Oct 40 23 69 -20 1.02 10.9
Nov 31 15 50 -28 1.22 13.1
Dec 25 10 48 -30 2.60 20.3
Source: National Weather Service database (National Climatic Data Center). Period of Record: 1955-1980

Mount Washington, New Hampshire (6288 feet)

Month Ave High Ave Low Rec High Rec Low Precip (in) Snowfall (in) Ave Wind Speed (mph) Max Wind Speed
Jan 15 -3 48 -47 8.52 50.4 45.6 172
Feb 15 -3 48 -46 7.33 48.2 44.6 171
Mar 21 5 54 -38 9.42 51 39.3 180
Apr 31 17 60 -20 8.43 40.8 35.6 231
May 43 30 66 -2 8.21 11.3 29.6 164
Jun 51 40 72 8 8.36 1.2 26.8 136
Jul 55 44 71 24 8.02 0 25.5 154
Aug 54 43 72 20 8.08 0.3 24.5 147
Sep 49 37 69 9 8.55 2.2 27.6 174
Oct 38 25 62 -5 7.66 14 35.5 161
Nov 28 13 52 -26 10.49 40.4 39.4 163
Dec 20 3 47 -46 8.84 55.0 44.0 178
Source: National Weather Service database (National Climatic Data Center). Period of Record: 1870-1892 and 1932-2022.

Berthoud Pass, Colorado (11,315 feet)

Month Ave High Ave Low Rec High Rec Low Precip (in) Snowfall (in)
Jan 21 1 42 -33 3.49 49.8
Feb 24 2 47 -34 2.90 42.4
Mar 29 6 50 -24 4.11 57.9
Apr 36 14 57 -12 4.43 54.6
May 45 23 62 -3 3.85 37.2
Jun 54 32 70 11 2.23 11.8
Jul 62 39 76 26 2.45 0
Aug 60 38 75 21 2.63 0.3
Sep 53 31 73 4 2.05 8.7
Oct 42 21 63 -5 2.36 28.0
Nov 30 10 54 -28 3.36 49.1
Dec 23 3 47 -30 3.63 51.4
Source: National Weather Service database (National Climatic Data Center). Period of Record: 1950-1985

Climax/Fremont Pass, Colorado (11,360 feet)

MONTH AVE HIGH AVE LOW REC HIGH REC LOW AVE PRECIP (in) AVE SNOW (in)
JAN 23 1 50 -33 2.14 39.9
FEB 26 2 53 -32 1.81 35.1
MAR 30 6 57 -24 2.26 39.9
APR 37 13 59 -20 2.48 39.6
MAY 46 24 71 -10 1.88 19.4
JUN 57 33 75 10 1.31 4.9
JUL 64 39 79 12 2.24 0.1
AUG 62 37 76 18 2.22 0.2
SEP 55 31 74 6 1.56 5.7
OCT 45 21 69 -9 1.37 17.8
NOV 32 10 60 -27 1.90 33.2
DEC 25 3 52 -33 1.99 37.3

Source: National Weather Service database (National Climatic Data Center). Period of Record: 1953-2016.

Mount Baldy, Utah (11,068 feet)

Month High  Low Precip (in) Snowfall (in)
JAN  21  8 7.99 110.9
FEB  23  9 7.52 103.7
MAR  28  12 8.13 117.6
APR  34  17 6.92 84.4
MAY  42  26 4.62 38.9
JUN  52  36 2.05 8.1
JUL  59  44 2.15 0.2
AUG  59  43 2.58 0.3
SEP  49  34 3.34 12.0
OCT  38  25 4.62 37.8
NOV  27  14 7.10 98.1
DEC  22  9 7.99 120.0

Source: Remote sensor 1998-2014(?).  May not be operating currently-I can't find it online anymore? The nearby weather station at the top of the Collins Lift at 10,443 (625 lower than Mount Baldy) is still operating and has wind speed data too. Next to Mount Baldy and only 75 feet lower, Hidden Peak also has a weather station that records current temperatures, at least during ski season.  Snowfall statistics are estimates for Hidden Peak at Snowbird Ski Resort.   See also pg. 19 of Utah's Weather and Climate (1996).  Pg 19 November through April snowfall for Snowbird Summit (Hidden Peak, ~11,000 feet) = 634 inches.

Mount Mansfield, Vermont (4393 feet)

Month Ave High Ave Low Rec High Rec Low Precip (in) Snowfall (in)
Jan 17 1 50 -39 5.94 43.1
Feb 19 3 51 -36 4.49 31.7
Mar 27 12 64 -29 5.85 35.3
Apr 39 24 74 -13 6.28 21.5
May 53 37 79 5 6.16 3.8
Jun 62 46 84 20 6.88 0.2
Jul 65 51 82 24 7.47 0.0
Aug 64 50 79 25 8.02 0.0
Sep 56 42 79 16 7.55 0.4
Oct 45 30 71 -5 6.39 7.6
Nov 33 19 63 -15 7.40 32.4
Dec 22 7 60 -40 6.37 43.1
Source: National Weather Service database (National Climatic Data Center). Period of Record: 1954-2018

Blowhard Mountain, Utah (10,700 feet)

Month Ave High Ave Low Rec High Rec Low Precip (in) Snowfall (in)
Jan 28 13 55 -20  2.99  35.6
Feb 28 13 51 -18  3.17  35.0
Mar 30 15 53 -13  4.51  48.3
Apr 37 21 58 -4  3.10  30.3
May 45 30 68 -1  1.82  13.9
Jun 56 40 73 16  0.83  2.3
Jul 62 47 75 29  2.16  0
Aug 60 45 72 23  2.84  0.1
Sep 54 39 67 13  1.45  2.0
Oct 44 29 63 -3  1.73  11.4
Nov 34 18 57 -11  2.43  27.3
Dec 28 13 54 -23  2.74  34.5
Source: National Weather Service database (National Climatic Data Center). Period of Record: 1964 to 1996.

Mount Fanny, Oregon (7020 feet)

Month Ave High Ave Low Rec High Rec Low Precip (in) Snowfall (in)
Jan 25 13 54 -9 6.64  48.2
Feb 29 17 48 -5 4.36  28.9
Mar 32 18 56 -1 4.78  42.1
Apr 36 20 57 5 3.20  28.8
May 48 31 71 12 2.71  13.2
Jun 56 38 77 18 2.59  3.9
Jul 67 46 84 26 0.56  0
Aug 69 48 85 29 0.80  0.2
Sep 57 39 81 19 2.50  6.2
Oct 45 30 72 0 2.60  13.0
Nov 34 23 59 3 4.84  33.0 
Dec 25 15 45 -14 6.93  50.8
Source: National Weather Service database (National Climatic Data Center). Period of Record: 1965-1975

Mauna Kea, Hawaii (13,796 feet)

Month Ave High Ave Low Rec High Rec Low Precip (in)
Jan 37 25 55 15 1.4
Feb 39 25 56 16 1.4
Mar 41 25 54 18 1.7
Apr 42 27 55 18 1.4
May 48 29 59 21 1.1
Jun 50 30 58 23 0.8
Jul 51 31 61 22 1.1
Aug 52 30 57 22 1.3
Sep 53 32 60 23 0.9
Oct 50 31 59 20 1.2
Nov 40 28 54 20 1.5
Dec 38 26 55 17 1.7
Source: Both the Western Regional Climate Center and the Hawaii Atlas have weather data for Mauna Kea. Unfortunately, the data averages from either source does not match well. The data from the atlas was here used because it is the most complete. Average precipitation values are higher and low temperatures lower than the WRCC averages, which only includes data from a short time span. The all time records were taken from the WRCC, but several values in the database have been deemed inaccurate (such as the oft report record low of 12F in May 17 1979) and were thus purged from the above report. Period of Record: 1972-1982; sporadic

Mount Spokane, Washington (5890 feet)

Month Ave High Ave Low Rec High Rec Low Precip (in) Snowfall (in)
Jan 23 13 51 -23 5.83  39.1
Feb 28 18 50 -17 4.61  20.5
Mar 30 19 54 -20 4.94  25.9
Apr 38 25 72 10 3.49  10.9
May 49 35 77 15 2.78  5.0
Jun 57 41 83 21 2.71  0.6
Jul 67 49 89 25 1.30  0.2
Aug 66 49 89 28 1.54  0
Sep 56 41 81 18 2.75  1.9
Oct 43 31 68 4 3.71  8.1
Nov 33 22 59 -17 6.24  18.2
Dec 26 17 54 -28 6.25  32.2
Source: National Weather Service database (National Climatic Data Center). Period of Record: 1953-1972

Sandia Crest, New Mexico (10,678 feet)

Month Ave High Ave Low Rec High Rec Low Precip (in) Snowfall (in)
Jan 27 13 48 -20 1.96 19.3
Feb 28 14 49 -12 1.91 23.0
Mar 33 17 56 -10 2.34 23.3
Apr 42 25 60 -2 1.26 10.7
May 53 34 71 8 0.91 3.8
Jun 64 43 82 22 0.95 0.1
Jul 66 47 80 29 3.19 0
Aug 63 46 79 24 3.38 0
Sep 57 41 71 19 1.82 0.1
Oct 48 32 62 -2 1.83 5.3
Nov 37 22 59 -10 1.39 10.0
Dec 30 15 50 -19 2.01 20.7
Source: National Weather Service database (National Climatic Data Center). Period of Record: 1953-1979

Sunrise Mountain, Arizona (9360 feet)

Month Ave High Ave Low Rec High Rec Low Precip (in) Snowfall (in)
Jan 38 9 58 -26 3.10 40.4
Feb 39 10 58 -19 2.76 37.5
Mar 42 16 59 -9 4.09 42.9
Apr 50 21 68 -9 1.45 16.0
May 60 28 75 9 0.82 2.8
Jun 69 36 83 16 0.90 0
Jul 70 41 80 28 4.85 0
Aug 68 37 79 27 4.20 0
Sep 65 34 75 19 2.84 0.1
Oct 57 27 75 -5 2.08 3.1
Nov 46 17 64 -16 1.68 15.7
Dec 40 12 60 -20 2.68 29.4

Source: National Weather Service database (National Climatic Data Center). Period of Record: 1971-2016

Mount La Conte, Tennessee (6643 feet)

Month Ave High Ave Low Rec High Rec Low Precip (in) Snowfall (in)
Jan 36 17 60 -18  7.03  15.6
Feb 37 19 58 -23  6.69  20.9
Mar 43 24 66 -11  6.78  15.8
Apr 52 31 71 1  6.95  6.3
May 58 39 79 12  7.71  1.0
Jun 64 47 81 28  8.66  0
Jul 67 50 82 30  9.31  0
Aug 67 49 79 30  7.41  0
Sep 62 44 77 19  6.87  0
Oct 55 35 74 10  4.85  2.1
Nov 45 27 68 -2  6.82  6.2
Dec 39 22 61 -15  6.78  15.4
Source: National Weather Service database (National Climatic Data Center). Period of Record: 1988-2018

Mount Mitchell, North Carolina (6634 feet)

Month Ave High Ave Low Rec High Rec Low Precip (in) Snowfall (in)
Jan 34 17 61 -34  7.00  18.2
Feb 36 19 62 -23  5.41  21.6
Mar 43 25 65 -15  7.93  17.5
Apr 51 33 73 -1  5.34  8.4
May 58 42 78 11  5.93  1.5
Jun 65 49 78 27  5.57  0 
Jul 68 53 80 38  6.70  0
Aug 68 52 81 34  7.39  0
Sep 63 47 78 24  4.87  0
Oct 56 38 72 5  5.10  1.1
Nov 47 29 66 -21  6.36  3.9
Dec 39 21 60 -22  6.90  15.2
Source: National Weather Service database (National Climatic Data Center). Period of Record: 1953-1965; 1985 and 1988-2018

Mauna Loa Observatory, Hawaii (11,140 feet)

MONTH AVE HIGH AVE LOW REC HIGH REC LOW AVE PRECIP (in)
JAN 50 33 67 19 2.48
FEB 50 33 64 18 1.51
MAR 50 33 65 20 1.75
APR 52 35 67 24 1.33
MAY 54 37 68 27 1.00
JUN 57 39 71 28 0.51
JUL 56 39 70 26 1.16
AUG 56 39 68 28 1.50
SEP 56 38 67 29 1.36
OCT 55 38 66 27 1.16
NOV 53 36 65 25 1.78
DEC 51 34 67 22 2.01

Source: National Weather Service database (National Climatic Data Center). Period of record: 1955-2018

Grandfather Mountain, North Carolina (5945 feet)

Month Ave High Ave Low Rec High Rec Low Precip (in) Snowfall (in)
Jan 36 20 63 -32  4.30  14.4
Feb 38 22 64 -19  4.63  13.2
Mar 45 29 72 -9  5.62  9.6
Apr 54 37 80 5  5.07  4.0
May 61 46 78 17  5.04  0.2
Jun 67 53 83 31  6.30  0
Jul 70 56 83 41  5.61  0
Aug 68 52 91 36  5.79  0
Sep 64 51 79 24  6.18  0
Oct 55 41 75 12  4.85  0.3
Nov 47 32 69 -12  6.63  2.7
Dec 40 24 63 -21  6.90  8.5
Source: National Weather Service database (National Climatic Data Center). Period of Record: 1955-2018

Haleakala, Hawaii (9960 feet)

Month Ave High Ave Low Rec High Rec Low Precip (in)
Jan 51 36 69 20 7.32
Feb 50 34 69 15 4.13
Mar 51 36 67 20 4.21
Apr 53 37 68 21 4.11
May 55 39 68 31 2.37
Jun 59 42 72 30 0.45
Jul 58 41 66 28 0.95
Aug 59 42 70 30 2.07
Sep 58 42 68 25 1.45
Oct 57 41 68 26 1.21
Nov 54 39 65 29 4.70
Dec 51 37 69 22 5.92
Source: National Weather Service database (National Climatic Data Center). Period of Record: 1957 to 1975.

Mount Locke, Texas (6790 feet)

Month Ave High Ave Low Rec High Rec Low Precip (in) Snowfall (in)
Jan 53 32 80 -10 0.71  1.9
Feb 57 34 81 -6 0.47  0.8
Mar 64 38 88 4 0.41  0.2
Apr 71 45 94 11 0.51  0.1
May 79 52 96 24 1.62  0
Jun 85 58 104 34 2.50  0
Jul 83 59 100 40 3.77  0
Aug 81 58 104 40 3.70  0
Sep 77 54 96 29 2.93  0
Oct 71 48 94 14 1.64  0.1
Nov 61 39 82 8 0.63  0.4
Dec 55 34 80 -2 0.60  1.4
Source: National Weather Service database (National Climatic Data Center). Period of Record: 1935-2018



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Uinta MountainsFact Sheets
 
DenaliFact Sheets
 
Mount RainierFact Sheets
 
Mount EvansFact Sheets
 
 
Pikes PeakFact Sheets
 
Mauna KeaFact Sheets
 
Mauna LoaFact Sheets
 
Kings PeakFact Sheets
 
Mount Baldy (UT)Fact Sheets
 
Sandia PeakFact Sheets
 
HaleakalaFact Sheets
 
Mount MitchellFact Sheets
 
Mount LeConteFact Sheets
 
Mount WashingtonFact Sheets
 
 
Mount SpokaneFact Sheets
 
Mount MansfieldFact Sheets