Down Midlayer and Shell

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
AustinKalb

Down Midlayer and Shell

by AustinKalb » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:40 am

I'm pretty new to all this. I have the Patagonia Alpine Kit top base, insulation, and shell layer. They are thin, light and pretty darn warm, especially when moving. On a recent trip in the 30's and snowing the Patagonia Kit worked perfectly, if not a bit too warm.

I recently tried a Arcteryx Cerium SV Jacket. I love it, I want it, but I'm not quite sure where to use it. The Patagonia Shell is not nearly big enough to fit over it. Arcteryx says the Alpha AR Shell is a good match.

So when would I use the Arcteryx Cerium SV / Alpha AR Shell vs. The Patagonia Nano-Air Light / Patagonia M10 Shell? It would have to be really cold I suppose...

Thx
A

Tonka

Re: Down Midlayer and Shell

by Tonka » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:54 pm

Let the elements dictate what you need. You could wish weather bad enough for some of these shells and never see it.

beean

by beean » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:05 pm

The Cerium looks damn good when you're walking to get a coffee in the morning. You'll probably never use it otherwise.

Baselayer + Softshell for moving, throw a light puffy over top for when it's cold and you're not moving, and a shell over that if it's windy. If you're too cold move faster!

This combo keeps me happy down to about -25C, I've got a mid weight puffy for colder temps or hanging out in the tent or hut.

Most big puffys are pretty windproof too, you probably won't be needing a shell over them.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:14 am

You don't wear shells over belay parkas, you wear belay parkas on top of everything. Belay parka = big puffy e.g. 100 gram Primaloft parka or heavier, or comparable down parka. Arcteryx Cerium SV Jacket would go on top of the Patagonia Shell.

You are really over thinking this whole thing. Keep it simple:

* Base layer, top and bottoms. Light weight for three seasons, mid weight for winter. Lightweight, long sleeve, zip tee in a light color is the most versatile garment you can own.
* Pants. Winter weight soft shells in winter, mid or light weight for three seasons. Schoeller brand is worth any extra money. Dry Skin Extreme is fantastic for the winter.
* Very lightly insulated wind breaker. Marmot DriClime windshirt, 60 gram Primaloft jacket, PolarTec Alpha, etc.
* Hard shell jacket. For when it rains or gets really nasty. Light weight, water resistant, breathable. Marmot Precip or lighter/cheaper. Expensive Gore-Tex jackets are the biggest waste of money.
* Belay jacket. Hooded 100 gram Primaloft Gold for all seasons, a warmer down, baffled parka for extreme cold e.g. Denali. These are sized to fit over all layers. Shells do not go on top of belay jackets.
*Hat. Fleece or wool that fits under the helmet.

Still cold? Add an insulated vest made with 60 gram with Primaloft of PolarTec Alpha and fleece tights with either PowerStretch 200 or R1 fleece.

Lightweight fleece balaclava or facemask or buff are nice and add a lot of warmth for little weight.

no avatar
eastcoastarmy

by eastcoastarmy » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:55 pm

The cerium sv blows for the money, my buddy had one and that face fabric is so damn thin, it feels super sketchy. A bet a twig would rip it open and it probably wouldn't shed water or snow very long. The rab neutrino endurance is about the same size, way thicker pertex shell and is over $100 cheaper. It's a way better down garment imo, Arcteryx is kinda new to down still. The Alpha AR is a good shell no doubt, its just like $600.... I've had the Alpha FL for 3 years and I swear by that thing when it really starts dumping and the softshell won't take it. Breathes like a champ and keeps you dry, has a stuff sack. They just came out with a new Alpha FL like a week ago, so last years colors are pretty reasonably priced right now, if you're stuck on an Arc shell... And they do make excellent shells, but you'll pay for it..... Otherwise, use EB's layering system, it's spot on.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:10 pm

FYI, the Patagonia Fitz Roy Parka is on sale at Campsaver now. They have limited sizes but I think they have a size that will fit you, AustinKalb.

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:07 am

eastcoastarmy wrote:The cerium sv blows for the money

No kidding, just looked at the MSRP...damn! Several products from Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering would seem to be far cheaper and perform as well if not better. Don't get me wrong, there's a few pieces of 'dead bird' gear that I've grabbed on clearance that I love...but down is not something I typically associate with them. EB's suggestion of the FitzRoy seems like a great deal. And I'd quite happily have my RAB Neutrino Endurance over the Cerium SV for price and performance (especially since it very rarely ever gets used).

OP, I think if you laid out your short-term and long-term goals that might help.

Return to Gear