Fleece or Softshell for Midlayer?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
chasegru

Re: Fleece or Softshell for Midlayer?

by chasegru » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:58 pm

I'll dog pile onto Exciteable's (also Mark Twight's) layering system. My goes:
Top half:
Spandex
Windshirt (it's amazing the range of temperatures this one two combo can handle)
Soft Shell
Fleece
Puffy (only in camp or @ pronlonged stop)

Bottom Half:
Spandex
Hard Shell
Puffy (works surprisingly well over hard shell pants when its really cold-or in an underwight sleeping bag)

no avatar
jthomas

by jthomas » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:45 pm

AlexeyD wrote:I also had been using ExcitableBoy's system for many years. Recently, however, I've modified it a bit by replacing the Marmot windshirt with a light fleece vest coupled with a very light, hooded windbreaker. The resulting combination is comparable to the windshirt in terms of weight, warmth and overall performance, but with the additional flexibility of being able to choose one of the two layers if desired. I've found this to be particularly useful for summer conditions above treeline, when the combination of a base layer and windshirt is often overkill, yet a light wind layer is still desirable.

I am using fleece (R1 Hoody) with a windshell (Pata Houdini) and like it a lot, after using a Driclime in the past. Which vest are you using? That might be good for warmer conditions. Thanks.

Jim

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:41 pm

jthomas wrote:
AlexeyD wrote:I also had been using ExcitableBoy's system for many years. Recently, however, I've modified it a bit by replacing the Marmot windshirt with a light fleece vest coupled with a very light, hooded windbreaker. The resulting combination is comparable to the windshirt in terms of weight, warmth and overall performance, but with the additional flexibility of being able to choose one of the two layers if desired. I've found this to be particularly useful for summer conditions above treeline, when the combination of a base layer and windshirt is often overkill, yet a light wind layer is still desirable.

I am using fleece (R1 Hoody) with a windshell (Pata Houdini) and like it a lot, after using a Driclime in the past. Which vest are you using? That might be good for warmer conditions. Thanks.

Jim

It's EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports), but I actually bought it for like $5 at a thrift store, so I'm not sure which product line it is, or if they even still make them.

Previous

Return to Gear