Momyer trail shortcut?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
Ben FR

Momyer trail shortcut?

by Ben FR » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:02 pm

I am hiking up to San Gorgonio this weekend and was trying to figure out if there's a short cut to make the approach shorter. Does anyone have any recommendations? Has anyone started on the "Big Falls Trail" that sits in between Momyer and Vivian Creek and scrambled up to meet back with the Momyer trail?

MCGusto

Re: Momyer trail shortcut?

by MCGusto » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:35 am

Ben,

I haven't been up there in awhile, but the big falls trail takes you over to a waterfall. I recall there being a talus slope that someone with experience might be able to surmount, but then you'd have to find your way offtrail above that ( can't remember the trail name).

Most straightforward way would be Vivian creek.

Good luck!

And FYI... momyer is a good deal down the road from the main trailhead of Vivian creek. Momyer is better suited for the western peaks along 10k ridge.

no avatar
Ben FR

Re: Momyer trail shortcut?

by Ben FR » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:30 pm

MCGusto: I ended up starting at the Momyer TH, ascended Mill Creek, started up Vivian for a short distance and turned off and went up Dobbs Ridge, connecting with SB Divide Trail near Jepson Peak an d then taking the short walk to San G peak. Looped back via Momyer. It made the loop more bearable.

Return to California