Taking the family hiking

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
Fury

Taking the family hiking

by Fury » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:43 am

My son is playing in a hockey tournament in Las Vegas in early July (yeah I know, we're crazy) and on our way home (Manitoba) we are thinking of camping in the Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks and would like to do some hiking. My younger son (6) is a pretty decent hiker for his age and could manage 12 or so kilometres on day hikes in the Canadian Rockies last summer (some days gaining about 1300 ft or so). I have a couple of questions:

1) how difficult is it to get a campsite as it appears that most are 1st come 1st served?

2) Which hikes would you recommend? I wouldn't mind a scramble with my older boy but I don't think my wife would be keen so we will stick together.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Colin

Bill Reed

Re: Taking the family hiking

by Bill Reed » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:55 pm

Very difficult to get a campsite in July. Best thing to do is to get to your chosen CG early.

Lots of great hikes, depends on what you're looking for. In Grand Teton I like the Cascade Canyon hike a lot. In Yellowstone, most of my hikes have involved fishing and have been in the northern part of the park. In that area the Hellroaring hike is a good one.

Good luck!

The following user would like to thank Bill Reed for this post
Fury

Tonka

Re: Taking the family hiking

by Tonka » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:28 pm

I've road tripped through both parks without reservations and always got a site. I'd just recommend getting a site early and then doing whatever activities you choose. These are massive campgrounds if your looking at the main ones. No matter what or where, it's going to be busy but I'm sure you know that.

The following user would like to thank Tonka for this post
Fury

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)