gaining experience

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
Ezra.

gaining experience

by Ezra. » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:31 am

Hi! I'm a Belgian student with a passion for mountaineering. I like to spend the free time I have in the mountains learning and climbing. So far I've done some climbing courses, the mont blanc and several mountains in the Himalaya and the Pamir of the same difficulty level, however I'd like to improve.

Any recommendations for training courses, climbs,... are welcome. Im very motivated and willing to put a lot of effort into improving. A major problem I'm having though is my poor student budget: my educations cost me a lot and most of the mountaineering courses I can find are rather expensive. Therefore I'm also looking for someone who is willing to share some knowledge or even want to partner up some day to help me out. Right now I am forced to join commercial expeditions and I have the feeling I could learn a lot more if I was able to join a smaller group who is willing to let me join.

Any tips/tricks are welcome, you can always email me on ezraterryn@gmail.com
Greetings, a motivated student! :D

seano

Re: gaining experience

by seano » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:46 pm

Speaking as someone who got into mountaineering with more time and motivation than money, I suggest you live cheaply and climb alone. Start with PD routes, then progress to AD-, AD, and so on, steadily improving your skills. You will meet other climbers along the way, some of whom may become partners. Also, be patient -- mountaineering is both skill- and fitness-based, so unlike cycling, where your best years are over by your late 30s, you can perform close to your best well into your early 40s.

The following user would like to thank seano for this post
Ezra.

ExcitableBoy

Re: gaining experience

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:18 pm

Learning on your own is hard going, but it can be done. Another avenue would be university outdoor clubs, mountaineering clubs, or finding experienced climbers to mentor you.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
Ezra.

Return to General