Giving up

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Matt Miller
Site Admin

Re: Giving up

by Matt Miller » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:01 pm

Scott wrote:If images is the problem, I may edit my pages to show fewer images.

I'd prefer to figure out a solution that allows for as many images as the users want to put in a page.

I think we can either report this to the people who developed the new editor and they will fix it or we can fix the old editor again. Fixing the old editor is on my list of things to do anyway and I'll get to it eventually.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:39 pm

I think we can either report this to the people who developed the new editor and they will fix it or we can fix the old editor again. Fixing the old editor is on my list of things to do anyway and I'll get to it eventually.

I can't use either editor with the pages in question. When edit mode is clicked on, everything is immediately froze up.

Here is what it looks like, but I can click on anything at all (including the old editor tab) or scroll.

It won't let you click in any of the visible fields either (for example, "Page Type", etc.). None of the fields, even the visible ones are clickable.

editor.JPG
editor.JPG (83.02 KiB) Viewed 11316 times

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:38 pm

Scott wrote:I can't use either editor with the pages in question.

You should be able to get to the old editor if you go directly to the page:
https://www.summitpost.org/edit_object. ... _id=335481

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:44 pm

I'm not sure how you did that, but OK.

PellucidWombat

by PellucidWombat » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:01 pm

Viewing on a Motorola Droid, advertisements constantly flicker across the center of the screen, interfering with scrolling. Load times for all pages is really slow on both my phone and desktop.

I tried to make a small edit to a trip report (I wanted to insert a single link), and after an hour of the editor page freezing up and stalling, I gave up. The site is totally unusable for editing reports now! Why practical things like this were replaced wholesale with unreliable replacements, rather than making both available while working out bugs, is beyond me. At least then users could fall back to a workable system so that the site isn't effectively shut down. (I see the workaround for getting to the old editor - but what a pain! And most users won't see this).

Between all of these practical issues (don't get me started on styling, or that it does not work well on mobile in terms of UX considerations), sadly it seems to me like SP is on it's way out. At least I have scraped all of my trip report & page data to re-use elsewhere...

Sadly, consider me in the camp of giving up on SP beyond limited desktop browsing :-(

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:15 pm

PellucidWombat wrote:Viewing on a Motorola Droid, advertisements constantly flicker across the center of the screen, interfering with scrolling.

I have been on the site on my phone and tablet quite a bit over the last few days and haven't seen this. Can you provide a screenshot of it?

PellucidWombat wrote:Load times for all pages is really slow on both my phone and desktop.

Really? The tools I've been using show that all of the pages are currently loading FASTER than they have ever previously. This has changed just in the last week or so.

PellucidWombat wrote:I tried to make a small edit to a trip report (I wanted to insert a single link), and after an hour of the editor page freezing up and stalling, I gave up.

The new editor does have some serious issues. We're still working to fix them or replace it with something better.

PellucidWombat wrote:Sadly, consider me in the camp of giving up on SP beyond limited desktop browsing

That's an interesting reaction. The site is being significantly updated/changed daily. What is broken today will be fixed. I don't understand the logic of "giving up" instead of helping report problems to get them fixed. Or at least waiting until the issues get sorted out.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:50 pm

PellucidWombat wrote:Viewing on a Motorola Droid, advertisements constantly flicker across the center of the screen, interfering with scrolling.

I have been on the site on my phone and tablet quite a bit over the last few days and haven't seen this. Can you provide a screenshot of it?

I assume he's talking about the video ads that cover a good portion of the screen? I don't get these on my phone, but do on the desktops. I just assume that they are permanent now. :?: Luckily you can close them.

PellucidWombat wrote:Load times for all pages is really slow on both my phone and desktop.

Really? The tools I've been using show that all of the pages are currently loading FASTER than they have ever previously. This has changed just in the last week or so.

PellucidWombat wrote:I tried to make a small edit to a trip report (I wanted to insert a single link), and after an hour of the editor page freezing up and stalling, I gave up.

The new editor does have some serious issues. We're still working to fix them or replace it with something better.

For the first half of the day yesterday (when this post was made), SP was really slow and it would freeze every time that I would try to make an edit. It worked much faster by the evening.

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:14 pm

Scott wrote:SP was really slow and it would freeze every time that I would try to make an edit.

It sounds like you're confusing how slow the editor is to how fast pages load? The editor is slow to load because of the way it handles content and images with javascript. Sometimes, on pages with a lot of tables and images, the editor will cause the browser to hang. But that's an entirely different thing that how fast the "load times for all pages" is. According to website speed test tools, all pages are loading faster now than they have historically.

The biggest issue currently is with the new editor. It can be slow and buggy on complex pages with lots of images. We're working on alternatives. We're going to bring back the "old" "new" editor soon, so that will at least provide another option. I'm hoping that the company that made the newest editor will fix some of these issues. The editor software is in its infancy, only having been released about a month ago. They've been working on fixing bugs and I've been reporting all of the ones you guys post here so hopefully the newest editor will continue to improve as well. But let's get the other editor back so people with complex pages have an option for editing them.

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:15 pm

Scott, (largely for you :)), there are now 3 editors to choose from on the Admin menu: New, Old, and Ancient.
Screenshot 2018-03-30 10.55.01.png
Screenshot 2018-03-30 10.55.01.png (148.93 KiB) Viewed 5979 times

We know that the image interface on the ancient editor isn't working quite right (the modal dialogue box opens at the top of the page and doesn't insert code), but we will get that fixed soon as well.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:48 am

Scott wrote:SP was really slow and it would freeze every time that I would try to make an edit.

It sounds like you're confusing how slow the editor is to how fast pages load?

All of SP was running slow Wednesday morning, but it was running much faster by afternoon.

Fletch

by Fletch » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:45 pm

I know you guys are trying and I do sincerely believe that your efforts are to try and make the site better. But the new site just sucks.

Im not even sure where to post this (or how to do it). I just cant work anything on the new site. I guess this is my farewell. Please take my pages and distribute them to someone who isn't having the same problems. I'm sorry for not be a better user. Thanks! Much love, Fletch.

PS have a nice day

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:50 pm

Fletch wrote:But the new site just sucks.

For what reasons? What could be better?

Fletch wrote:Im not even sure where to post this (or how to do it).

The forum functions in the same way it always has.

Fletch

by Fletch » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:37 pm

Matt, I love you brother and I know how hard you are working on this. And I really, really appreciate your efforts. And its obvious you're getting hit from all sides. It seems like your desperate for feedback too --- which is great. I'm sorry I'm not more helpful.

Unfortunately, it's like when your doctor asks you to diagnose what's wrong with you. I don't know, that's why I'm in the doctors office. All I know is that I feel like shit... That's sort of how I feel about the site. It isn't one thing per se. It's just a giant clusterfuck of a website that walks, talks, and quacks like a site you accidentally click on cause you're curious what Tiger Woods ex wife looks like these days...

Sorry buddy... I know you're trying...

The following user would like to thank Fletch for this post
Josh Lewis, Matt Miller

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:05 am

Here is a laptop screenshot to what I believe PellucidWombat might be referring to:

ad.JPG
ad.JPG (63.22 KiB) Viewed 5866 times

Luckily they can be closed.

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
Matt Miller

hgrapid

by hgrapid » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:01 am

I recently posted three new pages. When I started the page, I filled in only the basic information first, because the new editor is not user friendly. However, I have been able to make edits using the Old Format or Ancient Format. I am seeing issues centering photos with the Old Format. It seems to work in the Ancient Format.

In the New Format editor, if I cut and paste text, it comes in very poorly:

X Mountain is very pretty
It is accessed from the lake
There is some scrambling

If I try and make edits, I can't go back and delete words, or change spelling, because the New Editor simply won't allow me to go back in between words. I just have to delete everything in the paragraph and rewrite the entire piece.

I can add images, but functionality isn't so great. The old photo editor was far better.

There are lots of old functionalities no longer functional. Searching for users with the advanced function doesn't work. I had problems posting to the forum because I would try and it would go right back to my profile page. I cannot search my own mountains and rocks anymore. They come in alphabetically. I cannot search them by state or by hits or by score or recently edited, etc.

I will never give up on SP as long as I can still create a page. If SP only has the new editor, I would no longer be able to create a page. Ads or no ads, the functionality of adding pages is clearly not working well.

As for ads, when I try to get rid of an ad by clicking "x" it asks me why. Some ads I cannot click off. Ads are shown in between paragraphs. This really impacts the continuity of the page. I can see how ads are okay on the side of the screen, or on top, but in between paragraphs in the Getting There Section is a problem.

It looks like this:

From Phoenix drive 10 miles north on I-17. Take a left at exit 56 where you will see a sign for the trailhead.

ALLEGRA - FOR YOUR ALLERGIES...AD AD AD

Parking is available with bathrooms.

JIMMY DEAN for U.S. Congress 2018 - Fighting For YOU!

There is a parking permit required that you can obtain at the station.

The following user would like to thank hgrapid for this post
Matt Miller, Scott

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback