Pictures without title and caption

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Silvia Mazzani
Forum Moderator

Pictures without title and caption

by Silvia Mazzani » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:13 am

Currently the site has been increasingly invaded by photos published without any description. The thing is very annoying even if sometimes the photos are valid. SP is above all an information site on the mountain and the publication of anonymous photos should somehow be discouraged. Could we not introduce an automatic option to avoid the publication of these anonymous photos?

The following user would like to thank Silvia Mazzani for this post
alpinbeta, dadndave, hightinerary, Josh Lewis, Marmaduke, Matt Miller, T. White, ZeeJay

dadndave
Forum Moderator

Re: Pictures without title and caption

by dadndave » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:49 am

I completely agree. I find it irritating when a photo has insufficient information in the title.

"West Ridge of what?" I sometimes find myself wondering.
The strawman is evil and must be punished,

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:34 pm

I have noticed that using the bulk uploader, even if you add the captions and titles, they disappear after posting. That might be part of the problem. I have a lot of untitled photos for that reason, but I'll go back and add the captions.

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
alpinbeta, dadndave, Matt Miller

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:38 pm

Scott wrote:I have noticed that using the bulk uploader, even if you add the captions and titles, they disappear after posting.

Uh oh! I've not heard this reported before. I'll take a look at it when I get back to my computer this weekend (I'm traveling now).

Is this (captions and titles disappearing after uploading via the bulk image uploader) something that happens regularly (i.e. is repeatable)?

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:01 pm

Matt Miller wrote:
Scott wrote:I have noticed that using the bulk uploader, even if you add the captions and titles, they disappear after posting.

Uh oh! I've not heard this reported before. I'll take a look at it when I get back to my computer this weekend (I'm traveling now).

Is this (captions and titles disappearing after uploading via the bulk image uploader) something that happens regularly (i.e. is repeatable)?

OK, the caption seems to be working now, so I'm not sure what what happening earlier. Whatever it was seems to be fixed now.

I don't see how to add the title to a photo at all using the bulk uploader. Am I missing it or does it exist?

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:42 pm

Glad to hear that it is working again!

Scott wrote:I don't see how to add the title to a photo at all using the bulk uploader. Am I missing it or does it exist?

By default the title of the photo is whatever the file is named on your device when you upload it. To change it, simply click on the title and it will become editable so you can type in any name for the image you'd like. Let me know if that's not clear and I can show a screen shot.

The following user would like to thank Matt Miller for this post
Silvia Mazzani

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:28 pm

Matt Miller wrote:Glad to hear that it is working again!

Scott wrote:I don't see how to add the title to a photo at all using the bulk uploader. Am I missing it or does it exist?

By default the title of the photo is whatever the file is named on your device when you upload it. To change it, simply click on the title and it will become editable so you can type in any name for the image you'd like. Let me know if that's not clear and I can show a screen shot.

I'm afraid the bulk uploader still has the problem of mixing up captions with titles. And yes, quite often pictures end up without caption at all. There appear to be pictures whose captions "overtake" others so that afterwards everything seems to mixed up. The more pics you upload the more serious the problem (which is probably plain statistics). On the other hand, if there appear to be bottlenecks (like pics taking very long to upload) the problem gets more pronounced. On one of my recent pages I uploaded some zwo dozen pics and had three sections where captions overtook the pictures. Three of the pictures took very long to upload even though they were not particularly big. So there were three pictures without caption, a bunch with correct captions, another one with captions shifted by one picture and on bunch with a shift of two captions.

For the time being I'm back to manually uploading pictures. If you write a caption and description to each picture you don't save much time with the bulk uploader anyway.

Another thought: I always rename the pictures while uploading. Perhaps this might induce the error somehow?

I'm a bit lost with the tool.

The following user would like to thank Gangolf Haub for this post
Matt Miller, Silvia Mazzani

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:42 pm

Thanks for the update Gangolf. It is hard to recreate the problem. I have tried with uploading 10+ photos but haven't seen it happen. It likely happens when two people are uploading many images at the same time.

I will test that theory, but I will also look at other bulk image uploading options.

Return to Site Feedback