JMT Bridge Destroyed

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
sierraman

JMT Bridge Destroyed

by sierraman » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:22 pm

It has been reported that the bridge carrying the JMT over the South Fork of the San Joaquin River (below Evolution Valley) has been destroyed by either snow loading or avalanche. As the snow pack melts undoubtedly other bridges will be discovered to be either damaged or destroyed or swept away by flood waters. Fording of major streams will be perilous well into the summer. All in all it will be a challenging year for back country travel.

The following user would like to thank sierraman for this post
Alpinist, asmrz, Deb, Romain

asmrz

Re: JMT Bridge Destroyed

by asmrz » Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:29 pm

I wonder what to tell those dozens of PCT hikers who flood our small town of Idyllwild these days hoping to continue north.

That bridge spans pretty wide river and that will not be passable even in late summer.

The river is pretty swift there.

You are right, there might (and most likely are) other crossings that might be washed out. Good report.

The following user would like to thank asmrz for this post
Romain

Romain

by Romain » Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:14 am

More details:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/outdoors/ar ... 908819.php

I hope people are careful out there - big precip years like this one often have several casualties from stream crossings.

sierraman

by sierraman » Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:08 pm

It gets worse, for JMT and PCT hikers, that is. Last week I had a conversation with the Owner of the Minarets Pack Station. Prior to taking over the Minarets Station he packed supplies for the National Park Service into Sequoia NP backcountry ranger stations. It was his opinion that backpacking over Forester Pass would be too treacherous for the average backpacker all summer. That remains to be seen, but even if the trail gets pounded out to the point where it is passable, it wouldn't be in time to fit in with a complete south to north PCT transit.

The following user would like to thank sierraman for this post
T. White

asmrz

by asmrz » Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:43 pm

I have to agree.

What we see here on the southern most section of the PCT, are people mostly not ready for any inclement conditions. Their equipment, clothes and shoes make most of them unprepared for what's ahead. Those high passes in the Sierra will be a tough sledding...

I hope some of them read these pages and make adjustments.

Romain

by Romain » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:20 am

Southbound PCTers will have much better chances this year. It seems to be an increasingly popular option.
Pack stations will have a tough year, with a much shorter season that usual. The Sierra, though, could use the relief from all the horse poop that has been lining the trails in the last few years of drought - in some parts of Yosemite, trails had become so covered with horse manure that it was affecting others' enjoyment, so I can't say I'm terribly sorry.
Mountaineers who can navigate the terrain will be crowd-free for much of the early summer.

sierraman

by sierraman » Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:27 pm

Couldn't agree more with Romains opinions on horse poop. Interesting that he cited Yosemite as an example, since the majority of horse poop on Yosemite trails comes compliments of the NPS. Case in point, there is a pretty meadow just west of Wilmer Lake. Unfortunately there is also a Ranger cabin there, with the result that you literally cannot find an area big enough for a tent not covered in horse poop. We got to calling it Manure Meadow.

Romain

by Romain » Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:14 pm

Agreed. Another spoilt area is Smedberg Lake - a beautiful area completely ruined by mules. It's not just Yosemite though. Last year along fish creek in the Silver Divide, trails were totally covered in manure.
Someone had sued the NPS a few years ago for a violation of the way they had negotiated their special use permits with pack operators: https://www.highsierrahikers.org/about.html
Not sure what happened after that, but this initiative seems due for a restart...

sierraman

by sierraman » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:52 pm

Rangers In Sequoia and Kings Canyon (usually seasonal staff) are posted at backcountry stations and they roam around on foot. But in Yosemite full time rangers ride around on horses, stopping at backcountry cabins for the night, then they ride on. The result is considerably more environmental impact from pack stock in Yosemite than elsewhere. In my decades of backpacking I can only remember encountering one private party with pack stock in Yosemite (at Chain Lakes). But I've encountered many many rangers in Yosemite on horse back. Maybe its a hold over from the days when the cavalry patrolled the park. Regardless, it would be a big improvement if Yosemite adopted the SKCNP model.

Romain

by Romain » Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:41 pm

I agree. I also found out that the Sierra Club has a Mule Pack Section - seems completely hypocritical for an environmental organization (not that it would be the first time) - https://www.sierramulepacks.org/.

I did see private pack parties in Yosemite - on the same trip where I was able to witness the devastation around Smedberg Lake.

ScarsPapa

by ScarsPapa » Mon May 01, 2023 11:47 pm

In regards to the initial, and subsequent on-topic, posts.
Thank you, this is great info.
I recall several fatalities after the 2016 wet season into early summer. I fear this year will be worse.
Hoping people are careful and make wise decisions.

How did a PSA-based conversation about a damaged bridge become a vent for pack manure anyway? Typical.

sierraman

by sierraman » Wed May 03, 2023 1:35 am

"Typical" - right on. Might also say - inevitable. After a few days discussion the original topic is exhausted and the posts tend to veer towards marginally related tangents.
I've been a member of Summitpost for 15 years and it's always been that way.

Return to California