Humpfrey and Wheeler in winter

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
Wijpkjen

Humpfrey and Wheeler in winter

by Wijpkjen » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:16 pm

Anybody have suggestions on hiking AZ and NM highpoints in winter ? I'm thinking on trying it in March 2024

Humphrey

Re: Humpfrey and Wheeler in winter

by Humphrey » Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:05 pm

No telling what will happen to the snow conditions over the next 3 months, and a lot can change. So far, at least in Arizona on the Peaks, snow has been low this year. January may change that if some of the models come true. AZ Snowbowl used to be reliable for season snow totals, but you want at least 5 or 6 feet worth to make a back country run enjoyable. https://www.snowbowl.ski/ they seem to give a season snow total again, which is good. Just be aware they make snow and so their runs are not an accurate indication of the back country.

Both are similar, but Humphrey is probably easier, with https://www.summitpost.org/dutchman-and ... dge/479566 being pretty straight forward. I have no Wheeler winter experience.

One thing to note, Humphrey is pretty far south and not that high. I used to snowshoe that a lot between 2008 and 2011, and have done it maybe 4 or 5 times since. Ideal time to winter summit is December to mid-February. It is still possible in March and even April, but the sun is a lot warmer and so the snow gets sloppy after mid-morning. This means it sticks to your gear and can lead to sliding on steep slopes when descending. Late March and most of April and May are the windy season. 50 to 70 MPH winds are not uncommon.

I now live near Olde Mexico, on a Hacienda where siestas and sombreros are more common, so I can't provide detailed beta for Humphrey. Seriously, though, I hike a peak called Sombrero pretty frequently. :lol:

Wijpkjen

by Wijpkjen » Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:28 am

Thank you for the info. I know it's hard to predict what weather conditions there will be in March. I'll keep checking so I have a better idea what to expect.

Humphrey

by Humphrey » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:05 pm

Did you ever hike either? Wondering what happened? I was optimistic for an early may Humphrey summit, but not with what happened late this winter with snow. Maybe Fremont?

Same for Santa Fe Baldy. Too much snow in early May, but maybe Deception Peak?

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)