Orizaba

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Mexico Climbing Partners section.
panhandler

Orizaba

by panhandler » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:52 pm

Has anyone had issues with travel safety between Mexico City and the mountain?

Also, would anyone familiar with the seasons there recommend climbing at the end of November? Thanks a bunch

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:58 pm

Also, would anyone familiar with the seasons there recommend climbing at the end of November? Thanks a bunch

Yes, it is usually a good time.

Day Hiker

Re: Orizaba

by Day Hiker » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:45 pm

panhandler wrote:Has anyone had issues with travel safety between Mexico City and the mountain?

The buses seemed reasonably safe between MEX and Puebla, and maybe a little less so between Puebla and Tlachichuca, but we had no issues. Basically, I did what I would do whenever I am on public transportation, especially in a third-world country. I just wore my seat belt and hoped that it would make a difference if the bus rolled off the road or got in a head-on.

The up-hill drive from Tlachichuca to Piedra Grande was so tediously slow that it seemed a collision would have been harmless.

no avatar
marauders

by marauders » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:55 am

I recently climbed with a fellow SPer who had summited Orizaba. He flew straight in to Puebla from the U.S. and skiped Mexico City altogether. Here's his profile where you can send him a PM. BalletBoy

joe_akeem

by joe_akeem » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:22 am

There are buses to Puebla leaving from the airport terminal in Mexico City. I think the company is called Estrella Rojo. Like that you can pretty much avoid Mexico City altogether.
We climbed in November an had great conditions.

rickford

by rickford » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:39 pm

Fowweezer, The route you have in mind is the Serpent's Head. According to R.J. Secor's giudebook, the route was first climbed by none other than Barry Blanchard in Jan. 1988. The book states: "The route consisted of ten pitches up to a North American ice rating WI3." Secor's book mentions little other than this about this route. I can tell you one thing though, the rock on Orizaba is pretty bad... particularly up high. Then again, I have never been on that side of the mountain. To be safe, I would plan on utilizing the ice more than the rock for pro. Sounds like an awesome route, go for it! Good luck.

Return to Mexico, Central America and Caribbean