Aconcagua in July?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:51 pm

I don't even know if I should respond to this post and forgive me if I sound critical but your post leads me to believe you don't know much about what you are suggesting.

First of all, although I'm sure climbers have done it, ascending Aconcagua in July means climbing in full-on winter conditions. No base camps, mule services or doctors are available. The mountain is heavily covered in snow, avalanche conditions are usually high, the wind is violent and constant and temperatures rarely go above 0C. A solid 4 season tent would be needed, a winter sleeping bag, super-warm boots and you would have to carry all your gear in by yourself. You would definitely need more days than you have available.

Poor Climber

by Poor Climber » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:02 am

Not trying to sound like an expert, since I am not, but have you considered trying some of the mexian volcanos to get higher altitude experience in july? It might be more inline with your experience and intentions.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:56 am

For July, you could go to Huascaran (6746m) or Sajama (6550m) instead. Huascaran is higher but more objectively dangerous. Sajama is lower but easier and safer. 10 days is not really enough time to go to South America for climbing - it's a waste of money and you probably won't get up anything big. Aconcagua in winter is very serious. It's sometimes done in Sept, which is not really winter, but rarely in July. Or go to Peak Lenin in Tajikstan. Spend less time worrying about fancy gear and more time climbing :)

D

The Defiant One

Re: Aconcagua in July?

by The Defiant One » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:13 am

kabloer wrote:Do I really need my plastic Koflach Arctis boots + black diamond sabertooth crampons or can I get away with a single pair of trail runners + my kahtoola kts steel crampons?

:?

If this is a serious question, spend your 10 days doing something else.

It's just not enough time(and i'm guessing you're not prepared for it). I once drove past Aconcagua (at Puenta del Inca) in July and even that was a bit frightening. I'll try to find you a photo so you can see what kind of conditions to expect. Someone else mentioned the Mexican volcanoes as an alternative. I've seen those in July as well, and don't recommend it as a first time experience. Orizaba in season is quite enjoyable, however.

On the other hand, the Volcanoes of Arequipa are nice in July. Chachani or el Misti might be a more appropriate (and enjoyable, practical, survivable) alternative for you; especially considering your time constraints.

Additionally, flying into Lima is almost always the cheapest way to get to South America. Flights depart for Arequipa daily.

Cheers.
Last edited by The Defiant One on Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

radson

by radson » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:23 am

Ecuador could be an option as well.

The Defiant One

by The Defiant One » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:01 am

radson wrote:Ecuador could be an option as well.

good call

benb

by benb » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:08 am

I cannot believe this guy. Check out his post in the Alaska section. Either he has a death wish or he is BSing us. He wants to take on the biggest mountains in the world with little experience ( he talked about reading a guide book to be able to do Denali) in short time spans with little money. I think it is a hoax myself, ha ha very funny.

radson

by radson » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:44 am

ok after that comment I agree with you benb

Poor Climber

by Poor Climber » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:56 am

Trust me, I can run circles around you

I will look forward to reading your trip reports. :)

Ario

by Ario » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:44 pm

Syntax error :!:

mtwhitney

LOL

by mtwhitney » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:26 am

July would be fine...climb in shorts, flip-flops and a cotton tee to make sure you really get the experience of a big mountain down...you can use your tarp for a shelter..the sun will keep you warm..good luck..OH! do not forget your sunblock an kool-aid.

ElCapitanKoolAid

by ElCapitanKoolAid » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:57 am

Ralph Waldo Emerson was right, he says " what you do speaks so loud that I can not hear what you say". Just go and do it. Do not talk about it. Just write a trip report afterward.

Next

Return to South America