Cols of the Ecrins

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
mtnbiker converted

Cols of the Ecrins

by mtnbiker converted » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:44 pm

Hi all,

I'm after some advice from anyone who knows the Ecrins well. I've been out there to climb twice now but this years trip is either cancelled or I'm going alone. Previous trips involved poor weather, bad conditions and no summits but good experience.

I'm thinking of hiking from la Grave / pied a col up to the source of the Romanche, fork right up the valley to the hut (forget the name here, but it's the next hut directly N of the adele planchard hut, in the neighbouring valley) and then crossing the col du clot des cavales into the valley leading down to la berade. The col has fixed cables on one side and a steepish snow slope below, but no dangerously crevassed areas to cross on either side.

So, assuming i can judge snow / weather conditions and have no illusions of solo climbing ability (if i can't scramble down what i have to go up or condition change would make it a trap, i would just go back as it's obviously not terrain for a lone traveller!), and have a 30m safety rope / harness plus slings etc, is the col du clot des cavales a realistic aim?

Has anyone crossed this col in recent years who has first hand experience, if so would you recommend this or an easier crossing in another valley (looking at map and guide book, this one appears safest)?

Thanks

James

Return to Europe