Ecuador itinerary questions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
lessthanjoey

Ecuador itinerary questions

by lessthanjoey » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:48 am

Hey guys - I'm planning to be in Ecuador early this December but will unfortunately be a little tight on time so I thought I'd check in and see if anyone experience in the area thinks that this proposed itinerary is completely insane / doable but aggressive / completely reasonable:

Day 1: Arrive in Quito and relax
Day 2: Go up Teleferiqo - sleep in Quito
Day 3: Climb Pichincha - sleep in Quito
Day 4: Travel to Cayambe - sleep at Refugio Cayambe
Day 5: Rest/Acclimatize/Explore day around the hut
Day 6: Summit Cayambe - sleep in Cayambe town
Day 7: Travel to Cotopaxi - sleep at Refugio Jose Rivas
Day 8: Summit and return - sleep where?
Day 9: Travel to Chimborazo - sleep at Whymper hut
Day 10: Summit and return - sleep where?
Day 11: Travel to quito and fly home

I could see wanting to add at least a day onto the end in Quito andanother day between Cotopaxi and Chimborazo but comments would be much appreciated!

Cheers.

Haliku

Re: Ecuador itinerary questions

by Haliku » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:05 am

lessthanjoey wrote:Hey guys - I'm planning to be in Ecuador early this December but will unfortunately be a little tight on time so I thought I'd check in and see if anyone experience in the area thinks that this proposed itinerary is completely insane / doable but aggressive / completely reasonable:

I could see wanting to add at least a day onto the end in Quito and another day between Cotopaxi and Chimborazo but comments would be much appreciated!

Having just spent 15 days in Ecuador I think you're trying to pack too much into 11 days. Consider that you are coming from sea level (or near enough) and that each mountain takes 10-16 hours of high altitude climbing its enough to tire you out. You really need the rest days between mountains. Most flights from CA will get you into Quito around midnight of Day 1 so no real time in Ecuador that day. I'd suggest skipping Cayambe in the following schedule:

Day 1: Travel day and arrival in Quito
Day 2: Tour Quito
Day 3: Climb Pasochoa
Day 4: Rucu Pichincha via TeleferiQo
Day 5: Travel to Cotopaxi - sleep at Refugio Jose Rivas
Day 6: Rest at the Refugio
Day 7: Summit and return - sleep in Banos
Day 8: Rest in Banos
Day 9: Travel to Chimborazo - sleep at Whymper hut
Day 10: Summit and return to Quito (will be very long day)
Day 11: Most flights leave early to fly home

Guided tours of the three big mountains are all 14-16 days. Unless you live in the mountains you won't be able to get used to the altitude to do all of them in 11 days. You might also consider just doing Cayambe and Cotopaxi in the 11 days you have this trip saving Chimborazo for a future visit.

Cheers!

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:11 pm

You’r itenerary is doable, but it will be hard and less enjoyable without any layover days. Keep in mind for the high peaks, most start at 11 pm to 2 am or 3 am, so you won’t get much sleep the night before. After climbing a peak, it helps to have a “rest day” or “light hike” between peaks’ at least the higher ones.

Here's a suggestion (still rushed a bit, but not too bad):

Day 1: Arrive in Quito and relax
Day 2: Go up Teleferiqo - sleep in Quito
Day 3: Climb Pichincha - sleep in Quito
Day 4: Sleep ~ 4000 meters
Day 5: Travel to Cayambe - sleep at Refugio Cayambe
Day 6: Summit Cayambe - sleep in Cayambe town
Day 7: Rest Day/light hike ~4000-4200 meters
Day 8: Travel to Cotopaxi - sleep at Refugio Jose Rivas
Day 9: Summit and return - sleep
Day 10: Rest Day/light hike ~4000-4200 meters
Day 11: Travel to Chimborazo - sleep at Whymper hut
Day 12: Summit and return - sleep
Day 13: Travel to quito and fly home

no avatar
harpner

by harpner » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:23 am

Hi,
I just got back from Ecuador. You can save time by acclimating in the sierras. I spent 2 days in the sierra climbing mt tyndall and williamson and found it more than sufficient to climb cotopaxi. We would have did Cayambe but ended up taking a 2 day glacier school instead and just cotopaxi and chimborazo. You don't need a guide for cotopaxi as it's an easy climb but chimborazo/cayambe might be good.

Return to South America