Climbing in Europe!

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
SophiaClimbs

Climbing in Europe!

by SophiaClimbs » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:28 am

It looks I'll finally have a chance to climb in Europe. Soooooo...any recommendations? :)

I usually prefer moderately technical routes but I'll be there alone so unless it's somewhere where it's really easy to pick up a partner last minute, it'll have to be something I can do solo. (Or is anyone looking for a partner around that time???) I'll have 7 to 11 days. I'd consider hiring a guide but only if it is really, really, really worth it.

Sorry for the super general question but I'll have less than a week from the time the dates/locations for the trip are finalized to make a plan so I thought I'd get a posting out now rather than wait. I can fly into just about anywhere in Western Europe, as long as I can get to my first meeting somewhere between the 24th and 27th (possible locations for this meeting are all over the place...London, Derby, Brussels, Toulouse, or Paris).

I'm doing some research and will update if I come up with anything specific to ask about.

Thanks!!

fatdad

by fatdad » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:01 am

What kind of climbing do you want to do? Peak bagging? Trad climbing? Sport? Via ferrata?

SophiaClimbs

by SophiaClimbs » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:40 am

I'm up for anything really (maybe not via ferrata) but since I'm on my own, it'll have to be peak bagging unless I hire a guide or get lucky with a partner.

brenta

by brenta » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:19 am

My personal recommendation is to visit Mont Blanc and the Dolomites. The Brenta group is not in the Dolomites geographically, but has some of the best climbing on dolomite to be found. I'll be predictable and recommend that. Of course, the weather may dictate different choices. If you like granite and the weather around Mont Blanc is bad, my next suggestion would be Pizzo Badile.

MichaelJ

by MichaelJ » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:30 am

I think Chamonix is your best bet. Easiest place to find partners and most variety of stuff, from cragging in the Ag. Rouge to alpine stuff on the massif itself. I'd suggest trying to find Rebuffat's The Mont Blanc Massif, which gives you a 100 classic routes, many soloable.

The Dolomites are another option but they're quite spread out and I get the idea you like snow and ice and you won't find much there. But in any event, Kohler and Memmel's Classic Dolomite Climbs will give you a good overview.

I'll also pm you about a potential partner I know.

SophiaClimbs

by SophiaClimbs » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:49 am

brenta wrote:The Brenta group is not in the Dolomites geographically, but has some of the best climbing on dolomite to be found. I'll be predictable and recommend that.

:lol: You do seem to favor this range. Thanks for the recommendation!! I'll research it.

I ordered Rebuffat's book so hopefully it'll give me some ideas. (By the way, I like rock but you perceived correctly - I prefer snow and ice.)

Return to Europe