Cho Oyu pics

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
radson

Cho Oyu pics

by radson » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:29 am

I have posted many of these on this site but thought some people might be interested in what some aspects of a Cho Oyu expedition looks like.

Enjoy!

ok, was really an excuse to play with my Mac...

http://web.mac.com/hobyjackson/Hobyjackson_Climbing/Cho_Oyu_2007.html
Last edited by radson on Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Roger

by Roger » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:09 am

Great pictures, what a fantastic journey. Thank you for sharing them with us. Glad you are back safe and sound with more wonderful memories. Any new lessons learnt on Cho Oyu?

Cheers

Roger

radson

by radson » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:12 am

Thanks a lot Roger

Hmm new lessons.

Had a lot of problems with camelbacks/bladders etc. Always knew cant be used in real cold weather but had a lot of problems with leakages at lower altitudes.

A lot of people say that you dont need boots to get to Camp 1 but with the bad weather, it was often the case that the last 50-100 m to Camp 1 was in snow, so something more substantial than low cut shoes is preferable.

Instead of using 2 slings for the fixed line, one attached to ascender/jumar, another as a cows tail with biner through the other end of the jumar, we just used one sling. Hard to explain but was much easier to use. Not as safe though as 2 slings though because of lack of redundancy.

Nepalese matches are the worst in the world. Bring own matches.

Wish I had taking more actual climbing photos.

I will add more as things come to mind.

BigLee

by BigLee » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:03 pm

radson wrote:Had a lot of problems with camelbacks/bladders etc. Always knew cant be used in real cold weather but had a lot of problems with leakages at lower altitudes.

They're also a bad thing to have in close proximity to crampons! I climbed a peak in Pakistan last summer with just a 1/4 litre of water and a lot of snow eating having kicked my Platypus in the dark shortly after donning my crampons at the base of the mountain. Let my clumsiness serve as a lesson to you all!

henry952

by henry952 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:45 am

Hey Brad,
You have any problems keeping yourself entertained during the storms, etc on Cho Oyu? I bought a honda generator and a mobile phone with gprs/bluetooth and a laptop with a SSD so I can have unlimited internet for Everest next year and keep my sanity...

Return to Asia