Otzal Alps

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
klk

oeztal

by klk » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:34 pm

Hey Rich-- I haven't climbed in the Oetztal alps, but have climbed a number of times in the Suedtirol on the other side of the Etsch valley, i.e., Cortina, Sellajoch, Groednerjoch. The B&Bs in the area are amazing, and the food/wine are beyond belief. This part of the Alps has some of the best cuisine in Europe, and that has made it a destination for lots of Germans and Austrians in particular. I would pick up a bit of meatball German if you don't already have it, although you will need some Italian if you have to deal with many authorities. It isn't Germany or Switzerland, let alone Chamonix, and many (more like most) folks won't speak English. The one guide I can safely recommend is the Berlitz traveler's guide to German or Italian. The area is gorgeous-- these are the mountains that Messner has chosen for his retirement!

Bozen is definitely worth a rest day for the market, Waltherplatz and shops and to see Oetzi. If the weather turns bad, you can drop down to Garda for sport climbing.

mvs

by mvs » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:28 pm

An ascent of the Ortler, about 1.5 hours drive south, would be magnificant. Based on your comments, you might want a guide, which would be worthwhile because it's an involved climb with glacier and rock (well protected) sections.

For some reason I think of the Oetztal range as more of a multiday hiking place in summer, though obviously glacier climbs do exist. Have fun!

no avatar
Alpynisto

by Alpynisto » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:31 pm

Along the sightseeing front, if you're on the Italian side, consider visiting Castle Juval, which belongs to Reinhold Messner and is open to the public. He has two other museums in the region too. Also go see Frozen Fritz (aka Otzi the Ice Man) in Bolzano.

Bart

by Bart » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:42 am

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/150734/similaun.html: Similaun is a good looking mountain in the Otztal Alps although I don't know how interesting it is in summer. There's a glacier route up to the top from the Martin Bush hutte or the Similaun hutte which should be fun and good practice. While in the area you could also go and have a look at the Otzi finding-place (nearby) and climb the Fineilspitze: http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... inale.html

have fun!

Bart

Return to Europe