Map of Pico de Orizaba?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Mexico Climbing Partners section.
MountainGoatMic

Map of Pico de Orizaba?

by MountainGoatMic » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:44 am

Hey guys. Can anyone direct me to where I can get a good map of Pico de Orizaba? I haven't been able to find one anywhere.

no avatar
rcclimbhigher

by rcclimbhigher » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:28 am

omni maps .com has good topo maps of the orizaba peak and surounding area and can ship fast

dswink

by dswink » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:23 am

Once you get to the base of the glacier, you can see almost the entire climb so a map might be of questionable value on the normal route.

The clouds frequently cover the upper summit before noon so actively marking waypoints on a GPS would be a good idea.

MountainHikerCO

by MountainHikerCO » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:40 pm

I have both the newer and the old paper 1:50,000 topos of Orizaba. I have been meaning to scan the corner with Orizaba for some time now. When I do I can post it.

If you do find a paper original for sale, grab it and hang on to it. When I was in Mexico in January I stopped at the government map store at the airport. They don't sell paper topos anymore, just digital.

In the past I have bought them from Omni. If you try them, could you please let us know if you were successful? The latest time I tried a few different sources for Mexico maps I wasn't successful. Some websites will show they have them, but then not have stock.

Return to Mexico, Central America and Caribbean