Climbing in Catalunya Spain in danger

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Cy Kaicener

Climbing in Catalunya Spain in danger

by Cy Kaicener » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:29 pm

Climbing in Catalunya faces an uncertain future because the fauna and flora needs to be protected. These cliffs are reported to be one of the finest climbing areas in Europe.
http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1253

Vid Pogachnik
Forum Moderator

by Vid Pogachnik » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:52 pm

I fully support the idea to protect areas where rare species can be found. That's the mission of natural parks etc. On the other hand - when travelling this summer around Huesca region, Spain, I saw so many big birds, hundreds in flocks, that I can hardly believe they're endangered. In Slovenia we have 2 or 3 pairs of eagles, fighting for each end every one to survive - and that's a non-comparaison. Anyway...

Luiso

by Luiso » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:46 pm

I didn't know this particular case but these kind of mesures aren't new in Spain. I know several precedents. Someone only in nesting season and only in a specific cliff in the area (like Peñas Cagás in La Pedriza). Others are permanent and affect to the whole area, like Cuchillares de Contreras (Cuenca) when climbing was banned 12 or 13 years ago and before was a very traditional climbing site (really, the main one in the region).
I haven't an oppinion about Lleida because I don't know the real situation of wildlife there but you can think that, if you see so much birds, it's because of restrictive mesures. And there are many other rocks to climb.

Return to Europe