Mourne Mountains?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
ZachStone

Mourne Mountains?

by ZachStone » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:42 pm

Any plans for a mourne page? I have hiked there a bit and would be glad to assist with a page. Not super confident about my ability to make a suitable page on my own though, tried once and it was removed guess i did something wrong :-).
Oh well the range contains a high point of sorts, Slive Donard (highest in NI), and several interesting faces. I can contribute pix and what beta a remember from spending a few weeks there.

William Jenkinson

Re: Mourne Mountains?

by William Jenkinson » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:46 pm

ZachStone wrote:Any plans for a mourne page? I have hiked there a bit and would be glad to assist with a page. Not super confident about my ability to make a suitable page on my own though, tried once and it was removed guess i did something wrong :-).
Oh well the range contains a high point of sorts, Slive Donard (highest in NI), and several interesting faces. I can contribute pix and what beta a remember from spending a few weeks there.

Hello Zach Stone, I live not far from the Mournes, and hiked just about every peak in the range. I'm surprised that no one has added it to a page yet. I had planned on doing it myself but I'm too lazy to sit down and do it. The only reason I'd creat the page would be to include it in Ireland and not Northern Ireland such is life.

Anyway, its the start of the funny season here, hope you create the page...

Wm.

ZachStone

by ZachStone » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:24 pm

where bouts do you live? I frequently visit friends who live in the Newcastle area? Last I was there I scrambled up a gully to the left of the main trail and then walked the wall until I could descend into Tollymore Forest Park. Good walk. Any beta on trad climbing up there? I saw some neat lines, and I am moving to England next year so I hope to be over more often.

William Jenkinson

by William Jenkinson » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:32 pm

ZachStone wrote:where bouts do you live? I frequently visit friends who live in the Newcastle area? Last I was there I scrambled up a gully to the left of the main trail and then walked the wall until I could descend into Tollymore Forest Park. Good walk. Any beta on trad climbing up there? I saw some neat lines, and I am moving to England next year so I hope to be over more often.

I live in a town called Lurgan, about 25milies from Belfast. There are lots of gullys in the mourne area that offer a little climbing, myself, well I tend to just hike the Eastern Mournes solo.

Kp10

by Kp10 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:27 pm

There's loads of trad climbing in the Mournes. The first E10 in Ireland and the UK was put up there. I've never been climbing there myself but if you check out www.mournesclimbers.com, you should be able to get some better info.

Return to Europe