living in alaska

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Canada and Alaska. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Canada and Alaska Climbing Partners forum.
skyward22

living in alaska

by skyward22 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:13 am

anyone live in alaska and work just enough to get by so they can climb more? i'd like to move there because i believe that is where the future of american alpinism is, but not sure what i'd do for work. i'm considering quitting medical school. simply and honestly as i can put it, climbing is all i care about.

Jas3208

I've been thinking about doing the same thing

by Jas3208 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:43 pm

Well, if you're in the medical field, you might try getting licensed as a paramedic if you're into emergency medecine. you could work on an ambulance 2-3 days/week and climb the rest of the time. I think they make descent money too ($25-40k/year) That's what I'm trying to do.

ChugachMan

med school

by ChugachMan » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:39 am

Finish med school - it will open up some great opportunities for you in the range. Plus, Anchorage could use some more docs, and well, people in Alaska tend to live a very seasonal lifestyle and understand that people take off for a few months out of the year to do their thing (the most often being commercial fishing).

WouterB

by WouterB » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:13 pm

Never seen the deadliest catch?

Return to Canada and Alaska