NE China - Changbai Shan / White Rock Peak in Jan 2006

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
David Cole

NE China - Changbai Shan / White Rock Peak in Jan 2006

by David Cole » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:04 am

hi, does anyone know anything about winter climbing White Rock Peak, Changbai Shan in North east China (on the North Korean border) at this time of year? Furthermore, is anyone interested to climb it this month Jan 2006? Probably flying into Yanji is the fastest approach. Regards.

greentour

Re: NE China - Changbai Shan / White Rock Peak in Jan 2006

by greentour » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:46 am

Yes, can you contect travel agency... and then travelling by bus yanji to yeltaobaiher, and one day climb to summit chang bai shan. you can try to snow vehicle

BobK

by BobK » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:15 pm

Ice climbed yesterday with some guys in Beijing who have been to Changbai Shan, but not in winter. It's cold up there! I can give you contacts if you speak Chinese. A good place to start looking for info is the G-View website: www.emg.com.cn

no avatar
mh

by mh » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:25 am

Bob are you in Beijing now or flew in just for a weekend's cloimb?

BobK

by BobK » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:43 am

Now back in Shanghai. I was just there for the weekend. The ice was in great condition and the climbing awesome.

David Cole

by David Cole » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:16 pm

hi bob - where is the ice climbing in beijing?

BobK

by BobK » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:54 pm

Climbing is located an hour north of the airport. Go past the Miyun Resevoir. There are a number of natural flows and one ice park. There were at least thirty climbers at the park this weekend including guides from Tibet and a few of the CMA trainers.

no avatar
mh

by mh » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:44 pm

Bob, I see. you went to the 桃源仙谷 ice park. One has to pay to climb there. At least part of the ice is man-made. Other places in the same region include the Yunmeng Gorge, where there is a large fall (maybe 60m). You need to walk for at least about an hour, and has to pay entrance fee though. In 天仙瀑 (Tian Xian Waterfall) gorge there are several natural waterfalls 80m high, from WI3 to some steep hairy unbolted mixed horror show if you dare. You need to drive off-road for 30min and walk for about 45min. It;s free to enter the gorge but make sure not get caught by the fire guards.
Usually when climbing in this region climbers stay in Delai's guest house which has been a climber's favorite meeting place for the last 10 years. Delai could pick you up from Miyun town center in his mini van and send you to the climbing places. Since there is frquent bus connection between Miyun town center and Beijing, one doesn't even need own transportation to climb there.

Look for Beijing climbing partners at
http://125.208.1.70/bbs/forum.php?forumid=6
plenty of english speaking local climbers there.

BobK

by BobK » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:57 pm

mh, I have climbed most of the natural falls in the immediate area over the past 4 years, but I have not had a crack at the Dragon Falls yet. I think it stays in shape in to early March. Are you interested in having a go at it? I usually climb with the CMA and the G-View guys. Stay at Gao Dajie's.

no avatar
mh

by mh » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:07 pm

Bob, because of my new baby I think I will put off ice climbing for this winter. Is Dragon Falls the one in 黑龙潭 (Black Dragon Gorge)? The falls in 天仙瀑 are larger than previous years. You should check it out. Both places enjoy cooler temberature due to higher altitude.

Return to Asia