Mt. Roy in August?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Oceania and the Pacific Islands. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Oceania Climbing Partners section.
Scott Fulton

Mt. Roy in August?

by Scott Fulton » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:44 am

Does anybody know what kind of conditions that you can expect in hiking to the top of Mt. Roy in August? Is there a lot of snow? My fiancee and I are honeymooning in New Zealand around that time, and we were thinking of checking out the Wanaka area. I am mostly a hiker, and I have only a slight amount of snow climbing experience. Thanks.

Rick B

Re: Mt. Roy in August?

by Rick B » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:07 am

Hey Scott, I don't know exactly about the conditions in August, but the track up there is very wide and easy. I think it's been used by some sort of vehicle (tractor or 4wd), although it looks a bit overgrown now. But I can't guarantee that it will be easy / safe etc. In any case, always bring some extra warm and windproof clothing, as the NZ weather is very changeable. But the best thing to do is contact the DOC, they'll be happy to tell you.

When you obtain this information, would you mind posting it back here, or on the <a href="http://www.summitpost.org/show/mountain_link.pl/mountain_id/6317">Roys Peak</a> page as an addition (as a matter of fact I maintain that page and I'm ashamed that I don't know conditions other than in summer)

The appropriate DOC office is:

<ul><li><b>Mt Aspiring National Park Visitor Centre</b>
PO Box 93, Ardmore Street, Wanaka
ph (03) 443 7660
fax (03) 443 8777
e-mail: wanakavc@doc.govt.nz</li></ul>

no avatar
alwick

Re: Mt. Roy in August?

by alwick » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:50 am

I'm sure you can expect snow a good part of the way up as August is usually the middle of winter with highest snowfall. Take crampons and ice axe if it has been frosty to ensure you get up.

Return to Oceania and Pacific Islands