Santa Fe Peak

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
NeilD

Santa Fe Peak

by NeilD » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:40 am

I am looking to hike Santa Fe Peak tomorrow, then follow the connecting ridge to Sullivan Mountain, Geneva Peak and Landslide Peak. I am starting this hike from Montezuma and heading up the Santa Fe Peak 4WD road. For those who have either climbed Santa Fe or otherwise traveled up this road, how far can I expect to get with a Subaru Outback? I am not opposed to a few dings, but would prefer to keep it upright and on all four wheels! I don't need to drive too far, but would like to at least get out of Montezuma a bit.

Thank you for any help!

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:04 am

The road is not difficult, though steep and narrow in spots. A good place to stop is a couple of switchbacks above timberline near an old mine. Of course you could drive further up, but that may not be your desire. The ridge run between the mountains is easy and pleasant with great views! Have fun!

no avatar
NeilD

by NeilD » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:48 am

Aaron -- thanks for the info...it's exactly what I was looking for. The point you reference just above timberline sounds like a good place to start and I definitely look forward to a good ridge run. Thanks again!

Return to Colorado