Edelweiss Axis dry rope?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Luciano136

Edelweiss Axis dry rope?

by Luciano136 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:41 pm

Any opinions on this rope? Seems very well priced. 10.3mm, dry.

aedwards

by aedwards » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:49 pm

I've got one. I'm fairly new to climbing and got a really good deal on it.
I've had it out about 7 times.
It's worked well, is a bit stiff, and kinks some. I've only had it out on nice summer days, so I can't speak for the dry coating either. Reviews on other climbing sites have been good, from people with considerably more experience than I have.

So, my noob review, is: It's pretty alright.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:04 pm

Pretty noob myself :) . Figured it could be a good starter rope :)

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:23 pm

The Axis is a very heavy rope!!

I recommend ya consider this one instead for the same price...

Edelweiss Flashlight 10mm x 60M Bi-Pattern Dynamic Rope

Or this one for $15.00 cheaper....

Edelweiss Zen 9.6mm x 60M Dynamic Rope

If do not plan on using it in a wet/ice environment and as a starter rope, ya can't beat these values.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:48 pm

Thanks Chief! I think it should mostly be dry weather rock climbing. What if you do get in a storm and the rope gets wet or iced up, is that a big problem?

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:57 pm

Luciano136 wrote:Thanks Chief! I think it should mostly be dry weather rock climbing. What if you do get in a storm and the rope gets wet or iced up, is that a big problem?

If the cord gets wet then freezes, it turns into a solid cable and totally unmanageable.

If you are just gonna play in dry areas, I recommend that you don't really need a "DRY" cord.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:02 pm

The Chief wrote:
Luciano136 wrote:Thanks Chief! I think it should mostly be dry weather rock climbing. What if you do get in a storm and the rope gets wet or iced up, is that a big problem?

If the cord gets wet then freezes, it turns into a solid cable and totally unmanageable.

If you are just gonna play in dry areas, I recommend that you don't really need a "DRY" cord.

Well, what I plan on doing now and within a few months tends to change :D . So, in the back of my mind, I was thinking, what if I get interested in ice climbing as well LOL

What would be a good recommendation in case I do want to go 'dry' (just to have kind of a multi purpose rope).

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:28 pm

I actually use this as my alpine/ice rope....Mammut Serenity 8.9 60M Superdry

asmrz

by asmrz » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:11 am

Had the Axis 60m-dry for about two years now. I use it mostly cragging, Tahquitz, J Tree. I like the rope. The sheath is solid and the rope is burly for it's size. I paid $129 on sale, the price was right as well. I like Edelweiss ropes in general. I use Beal twin ropes for alpine climbing and ice, I would not carry something as heavy as the Axis into the mountains. But If you must have only one rope for all kinds of climbing, there must be a better, lighter alternative (something along Chief's advice).

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:48 am

asmrz wrote:Had the Axis 60m-dry for about two years now. I use it mostly cragging, Tahquitz, J Tree. I like the rope. The sheath is solid and the rope is burly for it's size. I paid $129 on sale, the price was right as well. I like Edelweiss ropes in general. I use Beal twin ropes for alpine climbing and ice, I would not carry something as heavy as the Axis into the mountains. But If you must have only one rope for all kinds of climbing, there must be a better, lighter alternative (something along Chief's advice).

That's exactly the price I'm finding it for as well. Sounds like having one multipurpose might not be realistic. Maybe I should just get a second one when that time comes and have a rope like the Axis just for local abuse where approaches are short anyway.

asmrz

by asmrz » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:21 pm

That's what I have always done. I know it is more expensive to have more than one rope, but if one does both cragging, where one can bring heavier rope, and alpine where one needs lighter rope or two separate ropes (a better set up IMO), then having two (or to be correct) three ropes is the way. The thick (10 or 10.3) does not really need to be dry treated ( here in CA) so can be purchased inexpensively. The alpine ropes can handle the rest of your trips.

And if you have a partner with whom you go ALL the time, you could get one alpine rope from the same manufacturer (8 to 8.5 mm) each, that worked well for me for many years.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:31 pm

Put it to first use this weekend ;). Thx again for the input :)

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:40 pm

TacoDelRio wrote:Got one, kinda hefty. Does the deed though.

Hi Bruno.

Woo.

:D

For $129 (no tax, no shipping), can't go wrong for a dry rope! I've decided to go the 'two rope' approach and just get a lightweight rope for alpine stuff (if I ever get to that point).

This one is perfect for toproping since weight isn't really an issue there. Looks like it can take some abuse as well since a friend of mine had his for two years with lots of use.

Return to Gear