New Cassin Tools -- X-ice, dry, and alp

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Snowy

New Cassin Tools -- X-ice, dry, and alp

by Snowy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:20 pm

I had a chance to climb on the new Cassin tools last week. They have a fairly similar design to the Awax's they replaced, but a little more shaft curvature. The result is a "head heavier" feel. They stick like a dream on pure ice, the X-ice being my favorite combination of features.
Here is a link to them; this is the only place that I've seen them for sale: http://www.prolitegear.com/site/search_ ... ria=cassin

rhyang

by rhyang » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:18 pm

I suspect we will hear more about this soon .. the winter OR trade show is later this week I guess. Apparently C.A.M.P and Cassin are merging and the Awax is going to be discontinued.

btw Rumor on cc.com has it that Petzl is coming out with a new version of the nomic ?

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthr ... _Quark_Ero

Snowy

by Snowy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:26 am

rhyang wrote:Apparently C.A.M.P and Cassin are merging and the Awax is going to be discontinued.

This is indeed the case. Camp will only be making general mountain axes now, turning the steep ice line over to Cassin.
I had a chance to go to OR this weekend and turned it down; if the new Nomics are there I might wish I went! Thanks for the tip rhyang.

rhyang

by rhyang » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:44 am

Wow, looks like three new technical tools from Petzl - revised quark, nomic, and ergo - pics stolen off cc -

Spike and hammer on the nomic ! Hmm ..

kiwiw

by kiwiw » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:29 am

damn, orange tool looks sick! I want to hear how they climb.

Ski Mountaineer

by Ski Mountaineer » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:49 am

Each year I wonder what makes the majority of the manufacturers (with the exception of Simond, Black Diamond and AustriAlpin, and perhaps a few other) fail to built tool-less pick exchange systems.
Am I the only one who considers a design with no tool-less exchange system is pretty much a failure no matter how good the rest of the tool is?

Return to Gear