Merrell Pantheon Mid Waterproof?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
dskoon

by dskoon » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:49 am

Don't have experience with that one, Mike, but, this one has worked well for me. Bit more $ but, a bit more boot as well. Depends if you need that. Anyway, a suggestion.

http://www.rei.com/product/706762

MoapaPk

Re: Merrell Pantheon Mid Waterproof?

by MoapaPk » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:27 pm

MikeTX wrote:I want a lightweight waterproof hiking boot/shoe. Thinking about buying a pair of these. Anyone have a pair? Anyone? Bueller?

Where are you planning to use them? In most of the SW up through the CA Sierra, I never wear waterproof shoes, unless I really expect to cross lots of cold snow -- and then I wear heavier waterproof boots that will take crampons. Otherwise my feet get far too hot and sweaty.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:55 pm

MikeTX wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:
MikeTX wrote:I want a lightweight waterproof hiking boot/shoe. Thinking about buying a pair of these. Anyone have a pair? Anyone? Bueller?

Where are you planning to use them? In most of the SW up through the CA Sierra, I never wear waterproof shoes, unless I really expect to cross lots of cold snow -- and then I wear heavier waterproof boots that will take crampons. Otherwise my feet get far too hot and sweaty.

Well, I live in a swamp. And most hiking I've done in the mountains includes stream crossings. I'd rather have my feet get a little sweaty than hike in soaking wet footgear.

No goretex boot will keep your feet dry in a stream crossing, unless the water is less than 6" deep.

I'm not trying to be flip; but I've had goretex boots, and on the balance, it's hard to say what they accomplished. On snow, the outer material got wet and they became cold and clammy; on hot days, they broiled my feet and gave me blisters.

This Memorial Day, I did a "hike" that involved 20 stream crossings at the base, and a snowy ascent at the top. I wore Merrill ventilators the entire way; but I put on neoprene socks for the snow. Admittedly, I either took off the shoes for deep stream crossings, or jumped, or found log bridges.

When I go through canyons in cold water, I wear 5-10 canyoneers with thick neoprene socks.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:27 pm

MikeTX wrote:
To be honest, I've never even thought of neoprene socks. That's a new one for me. Maybe I'll check into that. You like the ventilators?

The ventilators fit the bill for some trips. The soles aren't very sticky, and there isn't that much support, the toe-caps are small... and if you are near cactus, watch out!

Return to Gear