Black Diamond I tent or Integral Desings MK 1 XL?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
Wastral

Re: Rab

by Wastral » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:37 pm

If you can find the postings about jacket breathability. There you will find a graph on the breathability of different fabrics. Also in said forum you will find the waterproofness of different fabrics. Just because a fabric claims breathability doesn't mean it is exactly waterproof! Gore-tex has several differnt fabrics. Some are super breathable, but not waterproof. Likewise Goretex also has several fabrics that are waterproof but only slightly breathable.

The top Breathability fabrics are Event and the new Goretex pro fabrics. Event nudges the Gore-pro slightly. Toss up really. Event is not tried and tested in the fire for as long as gore-tex. Epic is near the top for breathablety, but not as "waterproof" as the event and goretex fabrics. Light rain isn't the problem only where you have pack straps on where pressure will "push" said water through the fabric. It was for this reason that Epic fabric is not used on jackets anymore. For tents there are no "straps" pushing the water through. Although I still wear my epic jacket for kayaking... Todd-Tex is one of the least breathable fabrics out there along with marmots (I forget which fabric) and the older gore-tex fabrics.

If its not Event/newest goretex-pro fabric circa 2007/8 then all other fabrics will be either less breathable or less waterproof.

As for your question, Epic is the hands down winner between Todd-tex and Epic. Its 2 or 3 times better breathability wise and slightly less "waterproof". For simple rain protections its perfectly good. Just don't wear your tent as a jacket under your pack and you will be fine.

Brian
LithiumMetalman wrote:thanx for the quick replies!

wow the Rab Summit Superlite Bivy adds to the comp, decisions decisions! (maybe price might convince me...)

Eldorado has the option of 2 doors and the I- tent doesn't?

Epic vs Todd-tex (I have an ID Salathe Bivy, phenomenal!). haven't tried Epic materials out yet...how doees the material compare to Todd-tex?

asmrz

by asmrz » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:54 pm

I own both fabrics on my tents. Epic (IMO) does not compare to Tod-tex. Those two are totally different fabrics. One is thin, extremely light-weight fabric which might not be really waterprrof. Tod-tex is still the bomber fabric for all conditions, it is thicker, stronger and much warmer. Tents made of Epic are for short trips, drier conditions, substitution for bivi sacks and lightweight, fast trips. Tod-tex is for winter, long backcountry trips, lightweight expeditions. But I'm not an expert on this, this is just an opinion based on use.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:01 am

aahz wrote:
ExcitibleBoy wrote:
bdynkin wrote:
CClaude wrote:
asmrz wrote:The Bibler I tent with 2 doors is the Eldorado (which technically is what I have).

So your Bibler Eldorado has 2 doors? I wonder why spec says 1 door...

The I tent and Eldorado are actually two different tents. The Eldorado is slightly larger and can be ordered with a second door (or used to be able to be ordered with a second door).

My Eldorado only has one door, and I don't think I saw any way to get one new with two doors when I got it last year.

They may have discontinued that option when BD bough Bibler. Here is a used one for sale with two doors. Pretty pricey for a used tent though: http://www.trailspace.com/forums/classi ... 32922.html

Captain Beefheart

by Captain Beefheart » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:13 pm

I've been looking at the new Rab also. Its made out of Event fabric. Very breathable stuff.

no avatar
pjc30943

by pjc30943 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:01 am

Have you considered the Convert 2? You mentioned ease of setup as a factor, and of your list, it might be quickest to pitch.

LithiumMetalman

Maybe

by LithiumMetalman » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:25 pm

I was thinking about the Convert 2 for awhile. good to know they'e quick pitch... haven't checked the dimensions yet.

iannguyen

by iannguyen » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:41 am

I have used both tents and here are my inputs:

ID MK tent: PROS: Easier to set up. The tent is longer than the I-tent. The tent pocket designs are better than Bibler I-tent. The tent can be customized (number of door, different fabric color, different weight on floor materials, etc..). CONS: Needs to guide out more often since the tent is not as taut as Bibler's

Bibler I-Tent: PROS: has peak vents. The tent is rock solid in the wind, thanks to the side wall guideout points. The pole clips are better (vs. velcro tabs from ID tents). CONS: It can be a pain in the _SS to set up at first, you have to be careful or the tent poles can easily punch through the floor fabric. But after a few practices, you will be fine. The inside pockets are pretty much useless, if you put in anything heavy, it will peel off from the tent through times. The corner pole pockets are tricky to insert the poles into.

As for the fabric, I think both companies actually bought their fabrics from the same manufacturer, they just changed the name to Todd-Tex and Tegral-Tex. So both breath just about the same

Previous

Return to Gear