Is it impossible to summit every mountain in the world?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
JustinShapiro

by JustinShapiro » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:01 am

RayMondo wrote:Well, Justin, You'd better set a minimum height for the number you can climb 'till you are 100. Or start at the top and work your way down. :twisted:

I was talking about like 300+ feet of promince. I guess my goal will change to every moutain in North America including country high points and all 14 8000ers. I'll see how it goes.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:54 pm

JustinShapiro wrote:Thanks for the calculations man.

Once I'm 18 I'll be on my own and I'll be doing alot more peaks, but for now winter climbing is out of the question however, I am planning on doing some peaks around the house so I'm pretty confident that I'll be getting most of the worlds peaks done in my lifetime.

Not to burst your bobble, but climbing peaks doesn't exactly bring home a good paycheck every week. I'm not saying, don't quite your dreaming, but sometimes when you set to big of a goal, and finally realize the sum of everything, it could be discouraging, and even depressing. Maybe shoot for a smaller goal first, then use that as a springboard to tackle your other dreams. Life is short, so enjoy it :-)

surgent

by surgent » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:56 pm

JustinShapiro wrote:
RayMondo wrote:Well, Justin, You'd better set a minimum height for the number you can climb 'till you are 100. Or start at the top and work your way down. :twisted:

I was talking about like 300+ feet of promince. I guess my goal will change to every moutain in North America including country high points and all 14 8000ers. I'll see how it goes.

Access issues will keep you away from many many peaks. How do you intend to handle the various peaks on military reservations, e.g. White Sands, or the famous Area 51 in Nevada?

If you want a feasible yet gargantuan challenge, try all county highpoints in the western United States.

See this guy:

http://www.cohp.org/indiv/Bob_Packard.html

or

http://www.cohp.org/indiv/Bob_Martin.html

The latter map belongs to the late Bob Martin. He is well-known in Arizona and in Colorado for climbing every single peak above 14K, 13K, 12K, 11K, 10K, 9K, etc, of 300+ feet of prominence. He was 86 (I believe) when he passed. He was a pal of mine and an amazing man. He had something like 5,000 different ascents. And he didn't start untilhe was in his late 40s. But it takes dedication and singlemindedness, and a family/wife that is flexible, and money, and good health.

So yes, set some goals but also be realistic.

drjohnso1182

by drjohnso1182 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:11 pm

It's not impossible, but for the time being, you may want to stop climbing mountains and instead focus on finding a way to indefinitely prevent aging.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:14 pm

Yes :)

colint

by colint » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:15 pm

maybe just work outward from your home in an expanding radius, and see how many you eventually hit. That would be interesting.

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:59 pm

You can do it!

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:37 pm

I met a guy once who claimed that he had climbed every single peak in the state of Colorado. He had lived in the state his whole life and wowrked as a climbing guide. Still, I was pretty amazed.

I said, "WOW! Every single peak in Colorado! There must be thousands of peaks in Colorado!"

He gave me a puzzled look and replied, "No, there are only fifty-four."

):

Mark Straub

by Mark Straub » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:55 pm

Sierra Ledge Rat wrote:I met a guy once who claimed that he had climbed every single peak in the state of Colorado. He had lived in the state his whole life and wowrked as a climbing guide. Still, I was pretty amazed.

I said, "WOW! Every single peak in Colorado! There must be thousands of peaks in Colorado!"

He gave me a puzzled look and replied, "No, there are only fifty-four."

):

HAHAHAHAHA!

Did he drive to the top of all of them?

...@OP: There is really no way you can accomplish all the peaks in North America. All the peaks in a single state would be a very amazing accomplishment. I know what it's like to be a teenager and want to climb the world, but it's just not gonna happen. Go for all 14 8000'ers and the 7 summits if you're really determined, that would be intense.

I know it's cliche but: "The best climber is the one having the most fun." -Alex Lowe

-Mark

Apex

by Apex » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:05 pm

I'm younger than you at age 17. While I support you completely with your goal, I think it is unlikely. It was only a while ago that I dreamed of being the youngest person to climb the Seven Summits. It could have been possible, but extremely difficult. I didn't have my parents support (I actually never told them, more of just a personal goal). I didn't have any money. I didn't really have any effective way to do it. So I thought about it long and hard, and then it just dawned on me that I didn't really want the title, or in fact to climb the Seven Summits. I just wanted to get out there and do something with my life, something of value.

Anyways, long story short, I postponed my goal for the time being, and have decided to go to University and pursue a career. After that, I think I'll set my sights again on the Seven Summits.

Just my thoughts.

chicagotransplant

by chicagotransplant » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:22 pm

I think that you have to take it in smaller "chunks" and set smaller goals along the way or a list that big will just get too daunting. I have climbed 390 peaks in Colorado with 300' prominence and the only "list" I have completed is the 14ers. All of the 13ers will be nice to get some day, but I don't look that far ahead, I look at them in smaller chunks.

I was in the San Juans when I hit the 1/3 point and was thinking about how many I still had in the San Juans and it was getting depressing, so I decided not to look at the list as a whole, but look at it in pieces. Recently I ticked the 200th one, now I am looking at some geographic goals until I get closer to 250, then 250 will be the goal and so on and so on.

Probably elevation and geography are the most common ways to divide out the overwhelming number of peaks into more manageable chunks - say the top 100, 200, or maybe all the 13ers in your county. That way you can reach little milestones that make you feel like you are getting somewhere, otherwise you feel like you are swimming against the current.

Right now I don't plan my goals out farther than what I can achieve in a couple of years. I haven't "officially" named all the 13ers as a goal yet. Its still too far out, for now the goals are more "target milestones" than completing a list.

I don't know if its possible to climb all the peaks in the world, but as long as you are getting out, having fun and exploring new areas I think ultimately you will find the chase satisfying even if you never finish "the list".

:D

Day Hiker

Re: Is it impossible to summit every mountain in the world?

by Day Hiker » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:35 pm

MoapaPk wrote:If you believe the 300,000 number, and you do one a day on average (recognizing that some will take many days), it will take 820 years.

Even if that number is off, and even if someone could somehow average TWO per day, 14 peaks per week, (forget about the fact that some peaks take SEVERAL WEEKS for ONE peak), it would still take several lifetimes. Completely, absolutely not possible. It's pretty simple math, really. So I don't understand the subsequent posts still questioning it.

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:40 pm

I've set my eyes on doing the 50 state highpoints to start off with and gain expirence to be able to do harder ones. I would love to do the 7 summits but no way I can afford it. All small steps to bigger goals. I also have some peaks that aren't on list that just seem like fun, for example the grand teton. I still need more gear and having car payments now is gonna make trying to save money suck!

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:53 am

xDoogiex wrote:I've set my eyes on doing the 50 state highpoints to start off with and gain expirence to be able to do harder ones. I would love to do the 7 summits but no way I can afford it. All small steps to bigger goals. I also have some peaks that aren't on list that just seem like fun, for example the grand teton. I still need more gear and having car payments now is gonna make trying to save money suck!

Dude, don't waste your time and money with the seven summits, everyone and their mom does those, its like going to a shopping mall every time you want to climb a high peak, loads of people, countless Jerks and money squandering losers. I use to want to do them, but decided to do more remote, and "good looking" Mountains. My Ultimate goal is Laila peak, and when I show photos of that when I have climbed it, it sure as hell looks a lot more bad ass then Everest, or any of the Seven summits.

Just my 2 cents Doogie, I'm not telling you that you shouldn't do them, just their might be better ones out for that are worthy of a Doogie summit rather than a millionaire summit! :D

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:16 am

I hear ya. I wanna travel around the world. Maybe the 2nd seven summits instead. There is a challenge. People at work joke around with me like "when are you gonna climb Everest?" i'm like K2 and Annapurna are way deadlier. The more I get involved in this culture and more experienced the more my goals will change. I wanted to do the explorers grand slam: the 7 summits and both poles.

PreviousNext

Return to General