Marmot alpinist or thor in the himalya

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Seahorse

Marmot alpinist or thor in the himalya

by Seahorse » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:59 am

Marmot cites the extra poles of the thor to stand up to Himalayan/Alaskan weather. But alpinist cuts like 4 pounds off. Anybody got insight or experience with these out in the big mtns?

connollyck

by connollyck » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:56 pm

Eldo...Accept no substitutes

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:41 am

I've used the Marmot Alpinist on Aconcagua spending 6 days at 19,000+ but the winds were not as high as I've typically seen.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:03 am

If you're carrying it yourself on the route, you want the lightest possible, no question. Comfort be damned. If you have Sherpas, it's irrelevant.

Will it be cold? ie. Khumbu above 5000m in November or March? Because double-walls are much warmer than singles, with much less condensation. In real-world use on big mountains singles give serious condensation problems, regardless what the manufacturer says. They are a compromise.

How bold you feel? If you think you'll actually be camping high on the route in bad weather then you want bomber. But what are you doing up high in bad weather? You should be eating, sleeping and spraying in BC. Maybe wait for better weather and use a lighter tent.

Are you tall? The Alpinist is 5" shorter, meaning cold feet pressed against the single-wall.

D

Stephie

by Stephie » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:17 pm

Thor 2 worked really well on Aconcagua with bad ass winds. I am forever a slave to that tent.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:26 pm

World Tested... from the Polar Ice Shelf Winds of Antarctica to Everest.

I hear only great things about this rig....

Hillegerg Kaitum 2 GT

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:16 pm

Damien Gildea wrote:In real-world use on big mountains singles give serious condensation problems, regardless what the manufacturer says. They are a compromise.

Not all single wall tents are equal. The eVENT Mk1 Lite (by Integral Designs) is an awesome 4-season solo winter mountaineering tent under 4lbs. The eVENT fabric holds up remarkably well against the elements with little or no condensation. Good luck finding one though.

I used the tent on both Orizaba and Aconcagua at high camp with fairly high winds. The shot below was taken near Gasherbrum III by Corax.

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:54 pm

Alpinist wrote:
Damien Gildea wrote:In real-world use on big mountains singles give serious condensation problems, regardless what the manufacturer says. They are a compromise.

Not all single wall tents are equal. The eVENT Mk1 Lite (by Integral Designs) is an awesome 4-season solo winter mountaineering tent under 4lbs. The eVENT fabric holds up remarkably well against the elements with little or no condensation. Good luck finding one though.

Always other options such as the Nemo Tenshi that utilizes a condensation cloth to confine/manage the condensation.

jordansahls

by jordansahls » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:57 pm

get a Hilleberg, they cant be beat.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:15 pm

Alpinist wrote:I used the tent on both Orizaba and Aconcagua at high camp with fairly high winds. The shot below was taken near Gasherbrum III by Corax.

Looks like yur about to get fkd by that Avy debris cloud....

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:33 am

The Chief wrote:
Alpinist wrote:I used the tent on both Orizaba and Aconcagua at high camp with fairly high winds. The shot below was taken near Gasherbrum III by Corax.

Looks like yur about to get fkd by that Avy debris cloud....

Here's the msg that Corax posted for that photo:

I'm backing off a bit shooting the last photo in the sequence. I gathered all the loose gear and chucked it into my tent. The wind was not as strong as I had expected, but enough to blow away some lighter gear (gloves and stuff sacks) which had been outside other tents. Remember; we're almost a km away from the bottom of the face.

One night a much larger avalanche hit. I thought the wind would rip my tent to pieces, but it stood strong.

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:13 pm

jordansahls wrote:get a Hilleberg, they cant be beat.

I would have to third this and Chief's recommendation.
I had my first experience with a Hilleberg this past weekend up on Capitol Peak and all I got to say is WOW!
Ample room, nifty ventilation and one hell of a vestibule. I was duly impressed.
Temps were down near 0°F but we had no wind.
Condensation was a bit problematic but anymore, I just deal with it by bringing a small hand towel.

I didn't think it was the quickest tent to set up but it was fairly easy. It was absolutely bomber once we had it erected and we plan on using it as a base camp later in December for another go at Capitol and the Maroon Bells. I plan on buying one later this winter.
I personally think it would be money well spent.

divnamite

by divnamite » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:11 pm

There are so many different tents Hilleberg made. I'm so confused with their website. What are the difference between Nallo and Nammatj, Keron and Kaitum?

Return to Gear