Backpack and Sleeping Bag

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
mbmsfreerider

Backpack and Sleeping Bag

by mbmsfreerider » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:12 pm

I've seen a million threads on backpacks but I couldn't find one similar enough. I'm looking for a backpack that can kinda do a lot of different things.I need it to work for 2 or 3 day trips. I want it to work for backpack trips for 2-3 days but also winter alpine climbs. I'll probably take it to the crag too. And I also want it to be decent to use for scrambling. Such as the mountain eers route on Whitney.

Right now I have an REI Ridgeline 65. I havn't ever actually used it and I want to make sure it is what I need. Right now I am looking at the Osprey variant 52 or the Gregory Alpinisto 50. They both seem big enough yet good if I want to cinch them down for smaller loads. I'm leaning towards the Variant since it is a bit cheaper and I can try it on first in the store.

Mostly I want to make sure I really should switch and that I shouldnt just stay with my Ridgeline.

As for what I carry it isn't exaclty light. My sleeping bag is a mountain hardwear switch 20 degree synthetic. My tent is a marmot 3 person. I forget the name of it.

I also want to know what you guys would recommend for a sleeping bag temp. I can figure out what model. I live in Socal so I need one to work for Whitney in the summer but also work for some colder climbs possibly.

Thanks

no avatar
sneakyracer

by sneakyracer » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:52 pm

I have an Osprey Atmos 35 (2009) pack and its awesome. Its too small for winter so I would go for the 50 or 65. It really hugs the body well and keeps your back from sweating too much which is great. It doesnt have excess padding in the back but the tensioned fabric gives even support. Its super comfortable. Other packs I tried had more padding but rubbed me wrong and created specific pressure points that made wearing it uncomfortable.

I only load mine up to 25-30 lbs which is fine but the 50 and specially the 65 has thicker wire in the frame and wider straps and buckles to handle more weight. I cant imagine loading more than 40 lbs for multiple day trips unless you have lots of climbing gear.

For heavy loads of 50+ lbs I would sugges the Osprey Aether.

blazin

by blazin » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Cilogear 45L worksack. That's what you want.

E_Rolls

by E_Rolls » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:06 pm

It really depends on a lot of factors.
What brand you buy depends on comfort, durability and price usually in that order.
What size depends on what you're taking, how long, when (winter/summer) and # of people in your party. With only one pack you won't be optimized all of the time.

Example: I do a lot of solo stuff. I have a BD sphinx 45 liter for crags, overniters and peak bagging. Anything longer than two days, winter with climbing gear I've got an Osprey argon 85. With partners and a lot of communal gear something in between would probably work well. Figure out what you'll be doing the most of and go from there.

Cheers -E

no avatar
mbmsfreerider

by mbmsfreerider » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:23 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'm ok with it not being optimal all the time. My biggest complaint with my ridgeline is that (even though i havnt used it) it seems like it wouldnt be very good for movement and climbing/scramling
Id like it to be comfortable obviously. Mainly I'll be using it for the crag and Whitney. 2-3 day backpacking trips and winter alpine trips would be rare at this point and I wouldnt be gone for a long time.

I think I need a smaller down sleeping bag too possibly. the tent isnt small either.

I know I'll have to get more than one pack but at this point I can't afford a bunch of gear.
Am I trying to complicate it too much by thinking my Ridgeline is bad or am I reasonable to think I need something else?

mtngeek

by mtngeek » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:20 am

blazin wrote:Cilogear 45L worksack. That's what you want.

x2

squishy wrote:...and get over the one pack for all uses deal, you will end up with 5 packs in the end, just accept it...

Also true...

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:42 am

I have an Osprey Aether 70 L, and an old (1994) Lowe Contour IV 90+15 L. The former is lighter by several lbs, and because there are so many attachment points outside the pack, seems to hold nearly as much. (I also have numerous frame packs I sewed in the 1970s.) I've used the detachable fanny pack on the aether just once, and only in conjunction with another light daypack; but it does save some weight, when you don't have to pack another "daypack".

If you do any serious snow camping and climbing, you are going to have a lot of junk. The ability to lash your sleeping pad securely to the outside will free up a lot of space.

dskoon

by dskoon » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:26 am

Lots of good advice here. I agree w/ many, if you're winter camping, you'll probably need a bigger pack.
But, my two cents: I used to work at REI, have that pack(but like you, haven't really used it yet!), but, I did sell them and most seemed to like it. One guy in particular, a climber, used it up in the Enchantments of Wa. on a 5-day climbing trip, and said it was excellent. Served his puposes well. Of course, gotta know how to pack it, lightweight bag, etc. etc. He carried a rope, etc. and everything for his 5-day adventure, and it worked for him.
Again, gotta go somewhat lightweight with that size of pack, no matter the brand.
Best o' luck!

DudeThatMustHurt

by DudeThatMustHurt » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:44 am

squishy wrote:...and get over the one pack for all uses deal, you will end up with 5 packs in the end, just accept it...

Also true...[/quote]

I have 7..

no avatar
Wastral

by Wastral » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:58 am

2-3 days in summer requires a 35L pack if you go lightweight. 50ish L pack if you are a normal backpacker how likes taking along camp chair, coffee making suplies etc. Personally a 55L pack is good for more than a week for me with climbing harness, rack, helmet, rope.

Really depends on how much you are taking. For winter, you will want foam pads along with your air mattress etc. More clothes, several pairs of gloves, 2 hats, a snow shovel, because sleeping on a gradient SUCKS! A tarp is also excellent in the winter time. In bad weather lets you create "outdoor chairs" in the snow with a "roof" overhead!

Really, most winter hiking etc takes around a 65L pack simply because clothes which are BULKY take more internal volume. Tarp/Tent etc can still go on the outside of the pack. No need for inside.

Take your regular pack and pack everything you need for winter in it, and see how much extra volume you need.

Smaller is usually better because you will take less crap with you. (Perfect Ice Age the Meltdown Quote here)

There is no pack that does "both" of those without carrying extra weight for that 2-3 day hike in the summer time. Such packs might be an Andanista, or a Wild Things pack or a Cilo Gear pack which are more oriented to mountaineers, with a "nice" price also of course.
The UL pack line is worthy of a look as well. They are made in CA? or UT? forget which. Their 55L pack works great for both and weights in around 3lbs.

All OSPREY/GREGORY/REI/ARCTERYX/MEC/MARMOT packs are HEAVY for this use and just about anybody elses pack will do the same job for less weight and quite often less $$ yea yea these manufacturers have exceptions that they make, but its a rarity.

Brian
My 2c is that anything labeled REI is Low END Junk just above Campmoor crap.

dskoon wrote:Lots of good advice here. I agree w/ many, if you're winter camping, you'll probably need a bigger pack.

But, my two cents: I used to work at REI, have that pack(but like you, haven't really used it yet!), but, I did sell them and most seemed to like it. One guy in particular, a climber, used it up in the Enchantments of Wa. on a 5-day climbing trip, and said it was excellent. Served his puposes well. Of course, gotta know how to pack it, lightweight bag, etc. etc. He carried a rope, etc. and everything for his 5-day adventure, and it worked for him.
Again, gotta go somewhat lightweight with that size of pack, no matter the brand.
Best o' luck!

DanielWade

by DanielWade » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:39 am

BD Quantum 55

pingzingr

by pingzingr » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:55 pm

I have an Osprey Atmos as well which I love! I have taken it on Hood, Rainier, backcountry skiing, and pretty much all of my multi-day trips in the last three years.

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:06 pm

I really like my Atmos 50. It's tight for several days on a mountain in the winter, and I pack light - if you don't I'd go 65. If I was to do it again, I would look at the Variant, but I'm not sure the 52 will be big enough for you, unless you start trimming your load a bit.

Sleeping bag ratings depends on personal physiology and preference as much as anything else.

I know you didn't ask, but I love Western Mountaineering. However, I've noticed that with enough hunting you can find Marmot's best bags on deep discount. They are nearly as good as WM, and although MSRP is similar, finding a Marmot for 30-40% off happens if you can dig around.

This place always has good deals if you don't want to hunt forever:

http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/s-1172 ... -bags.aspx

Grampahawk

by Grampahawk » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:11 pm

I like my Osprey Aether 85. When I go with my wife I tend to carry some of her gear so I need the extra size. But the pack compresses down nicely and I remove the top section (which also makes a nice small fanny pack). I hardly use my smaller pack anymore.

BeDrinkable

by BeDrinkable » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:30 pm

Grampahawk wrote:I like my Osprey Aether 85. When I go with my wife I tend to carry some of her gear so I need the extra size. But the pack compresses down nicely and I remove the top section (which also makes a nice small fanny pack). I hardly use my smaller pack anymore.

Ditto.

Next

Return to Gear