Agua-Tibia Wilderness - Eagle Crag

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
kolbi2112

Agua-Tibia Wilderness - Eagle Crag

by kolbi2112 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:09 pm

Has anyone been up in this area recently? I tried to find the Cutca Valley TH last year but ended up turning back......after going through/around the Rancho California RV Resort all the signs I saw said do not enter. Does anyone have detailed directions to the TH? I may try again this weekend.

kolbi2112

by kolbi2112 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:36 pm

Thanks, but those are the directions I followed and never saw a sign for 8S05, so I was hoping someone knew if the road was still marked, and if so, where it begins. There's a bunch of dirt roads up there so it can be a little confusing.

no avatar
Sigouin

by Sigouin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:28 pm

Hey there,

I went hiking up there last January. We drove from Temecula and made our way up a mountain and started the hike at a trailhead there. I don't remember the directions exactly, but I will ask my friend and get back at you with more information.
I do remember seeing a lot of no-entry signs, but we figured it was for the side roads that were there.

We hiked 9 miles up until we reached the Eagle Crag summit, then 9 miles back down. We even hid a geocache there, which you can find here (it's a premium member cache): http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 4cbd93c00d

Here are some pictures of the trip: http://picasaweb.google.com/bushidanny/ ... Backpaking

We followed mountain lion tracks for a good 3-4 miles...it was very exciting.

I will let you know about the directions ASAP.

Take it easy. :)

no avatar
Sigouin

by Sigouin » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:52 am

Well, I'm still confused about the directions, but from what I remember, once you make that right turn at Rancho California RV Resort, you just follow the main dirt road until it splits in half, and you merge left and go all the way. The dirt road is pretty long and starts climbing up, if that helps. There's a yellow metal gate at some point, which may or may not be open. The trail head is at the top of the hill at the end of that road.

Sorry for being so vague. Hope you find it though, it's an amazing hike!

Return to California