Cordillera Blanca Approaches

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
sharperblue

Cordillera Blanca Approaches

by sharperblue » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:31 am

After reading numerous trip reports and grabbing as much printed maps & route material as possible over the past year for a June-July CB trip, I have yet to read anything in detail about approach conditions from the trailheads during that time of year; are snow shoes/skis ever in order, or are the snow & ice conditions such that the approaches need nothing more than good boots? are there exceptions?

thx!

MRoyer4

by MRoyer4 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:56 am

Snowshoes/skies are definitely not necessary. In most cases, your approach will begin with 1-2 days up the valley floor at 3000-4000m. You are usually following a stream, but the trails are generally dry and well worn. I've worn a light pair of trail shoes on most occasions, unless I was going super fast and light in which case I just suffered in doubles.

From a valley camp you will probably have a high camp (more than one for a peak like Huascaran). Some of the high camps will be on a glacier, some will be at the moraine. Even in a bad weather year (like last year, when there was still some snow falling in June), the glaciers are easily crossed with just crampons. Because of the climate (relatively mild temperatures + sun) any snow that does fall tends to melt off quickly.

sharperblue

by sharperblue » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:45 am

thanks, MR4; that's perfect info

Return to South America