SP Vail Skiing??

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
John Duffield

by John Duffield » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:26 am

mconnell wrote:
John Duffield wrote:We're thinking of basing this gig in Dillon. Is that a good idea? We found a Comfort Inn at $133/night. I think the idea is to hit 4 mountains in 4 days.

Back when I couldn't just drive home at night, that's where we always stayed. Vail, Copper Mountain, Arapahoe Basin, Breck, Keystone, Loveland are all a short drive from there. Winter Park isn't too far either, but I wouldn't bother if you're there for 4 days. (I love WP. I just wouldn't drive there when you're right by the other areas.)

Thank you, Winter Park is the one closest to Denver if I recall. I haven't skied CO since the '70s.
:oops:

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:34 am

John Duffield wrote:
mconnell wrote:
John Duffield wrote:We're thinking of basing this gig in Dillon. Is that a good idea? We found a Comfort Inn at $133/night. I think the idea is to hit 4 mountains in 4 days.

Back when I couldn't just drive home at night, that's where we always stayed. Vail, Copper Mountain, Arapahoe Basin, Breck, Keystone, Loveland are all a short drive from there. Winter Park isn't too far either, but I wouldn't bother if you're there for 4 days. (I love WP. I just wouldn't drive there when you're right by the other areas.)

Thank you, Winter Park is the one closest to Denver if I recall. I haven't skied CO since the '70s.
:oops:

Loveland is actually a shorter drive from Denver, but Winter Park not far. To get to WP from Dillon, you go through Eisenhower Tunnel and then head north over Berthoud Pass.

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:31 pm

mconnell wrote:Loveland is actually a shorter drive from Denver, but Winter Park not far. To get to WP from Dillon, you go through Eisenhower Tunnel and then head north over Berthoud Pass.

I remember having to chain up right after the tunnel. Pow Pow Pow Excellent.

One of the passes, I think it was Wolf Creek? There were wrecked cars all over the side of the cliff. The accumulation of years and years.

Gareth

by Gareth » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:01 pm

I stayed at the Super 8 in Carbondale during ski season three years ago. I'm not exactly sure how much the room cost, as I got it free with reward points. I did make a reservation...maybe like a month or month and a half in advance. Carbondale might cost more, but it is closer to Aspen, FWIW...

Previous

Return to Colorado