Taking bets now...

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
ShortTimer

Taking bets now...

by ShortTimer » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:34 pm

I heard a rumor that Guyzo was gonna quit drinking beer for a while to trim down to his 'fighting weight'. So I am taking bets on how long he can go without drinking significant quantities of beer. I would not expect a total elimination so I wouldn't even try to bet on that. While we're at it, we could also take guesses at the total amount of weight that will be lost.

Who's playing?

ksolem

by ksolem » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:34 pm

Well... I chatted with said Guyzo last night, and I would say it did not sound like he has quit yet...

Here's a couple pics from an epic Gorge of Despair trip in about 1994 to set the tone. Make it happen Guyzo!

Steve Larson

by Steve Larson » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:15 am

That shirt is epic!

drjohnso1182

by drjohnso1182 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:40 am

In his autobiography, David Roberts briefly describes some of Ed Ward's and his training for the southeast face of Dickey, and it included a pact to limit themselves to three beers (each) a night. Unfortunately, I don't think Roberts meant three beers a night "on average". On the other hand, he didn't describe any limitations on bourbon.

TheOrglingLlama

Re: Taking bets now...

by TheOrglingLlama » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:54 am

ShortTimer wrote:I heard a rumor that Guyzo was gonna quit drinking beer for a while to trim down to his 'fighting weight'. So I am taking bets on how long he can go without drinking significant quantities of beer. I would not expect a total elimination so I wouldn't even try to bet on that. While we're at it, we could also take guesses at the total amount of weight that will be lost.

Who's playing?

I'm in .. 48 hours :twisted: :mrgreen:

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:20 am

ksolem wrote:

Pbbbbbttttt....Guyzo musta been drinkin' some kinda beer with an infusion of hottie, coz that's a hottie in those pics! :shock: :lol:

PS Rick Ridgway has a great quote about the fact that his training included couch-potaterism, copious amounts of brewski and a lotta spleef. Can't be critical of HIS accomplishments....

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:30 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:He's still a hottie, MarthaP, don't let him kid you. He's got that SoCal thing going strong, nawmean? His buddies love him too, speaks volumes eh?

DMT

:shock: Well, that sure puts my Woo-woo factor in high gear! :wink:

ksolem

by ksolem » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:51 pm

Yeah DMT has it right, his buddies love him for sure. But for myself, I'll leave out the "Woo Woo" factor :shock: .

Blair

by Blair » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:04 pm

Guyzo has always been cool to me, so I hope he does it, even if staying away from the booze is against my religion :twisted: I think he can do it

A Good Guyzo Story-The 1st time we ever bumped into eachother...

Aaron and I were up at Suicide on a cold afternoon messing around on eagle pinnacle i believe. I was up at the 2nd belay after we climbed Finger Lickin Goods 1st P and I was belaying Aaron as he was lured into climbing something hard looking up and above my belay spot. I had no idea what he saw and wanted to try to climb, but I just sat there doin my thing as he climbed into the unknown above. I noticed 2 dudes walkin around the corner and they saw us. As Aaron gained this alcove and began to check out whatever it was he was scoppin' I saw the two dudes were still down there watching us, one of them had some bad ass lookin long hair ( I had the long locks too then :cry: )

The hippy dude yelled up " What are you guys climbing?"
I said " Dunno, were just fuckin around"
The hippy then replyed " Well, if you guys climb that thing, you better think of a good name for it!' :shock:

We didnt finish it, and came down, puzzled by the long haired dudes remarks.

Of course we ran into the two dudes and sure enough it was Guyzo and I believe Kris was the other guy. We shook hands and met in person for the first time and they were way cool and it was nice to see guys you run into here on SP out in the field.

Then Guyzo informed us that we were scoping some heinous crack that Erik Erickson had tried to free YEARS ago that was in the hard 11's range :shock: We clearly had no idea what we were trying to get into, but it was funny

Good luck in your quest Guy, hope you shape up to what you want. You can do it!

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:59 am

Guyzo, I know you like good brew so I have one for you - Lyons Imperial Lager from Sri Lanka. One of those, at 8.8% alcohol, will kick your butt. A little dab'll do ya and fewer calories to boot.

And if you are looking for someone to be accountable to, I'd sure like to get 3 inches off my waistline. I'll check in with you if you'll check in with me. 8)

You old hottie you. :wink:

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:09 pm

Wow... just like real climbing -- I go away sick for a few days --- and they are all talking about me :lol:

MarthaP... yes about 3 inches -- gone, that will do the trick for sure. I do love fine beers and will will pick up some of that sri-Lanka before the New Years party at JT.

Some folks have advised LIGHT BEER .... that dosen't work with me cause it's not BEER and I can drink about 20 of those if I try.

So as Jan said (he is sort of in on this one too) it on ... for a while. A BootCamp sort of deal.

Sell your stock in Sierra Nevada.........

Thanks to All.... Happy New Year. :wink:

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:38 pm

Guyzo wrote:Wow... just like real climbing -- I go away sick for a few days --- and they are all talking about me :lol:

MarthaP... yes about 3 inches -- gone, that will do the trick for sure. I do love fine beers and will will pick up some of that sri-Lanka before the New Years party at JT.

Thanks to All.... Happy New Year. :wink:

Aw, c'mon, no fair talkin' JTree for New Years. :cry: BTW, it's Lion brewery, Sri Lanka for certain. They also offer a stout that you all but pick the stuff our from between your teeth it's so chewy. But both it and the Imperial lager are deserving of a connoisseur's attention.

Happy New Year and happy New Waistline. Looks like March is my CA month and I just might be in shape by then...

ShortTimer

by ShortTimer » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:02 am

That will teach you to confide in people, eh Guy?

ksolem

by ksolem » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:21 am

MarthaP wrote: ...and I just might be in shape by then...

There is no "just might." There is only "do."

:wink:

I'm beginning a training cycle now which will put me in great shape by March. We'll have to get guyzo and his new waistline out to Joshua Tree then. I'm thinking about that Gray Giant / Fortress trip we've talked about. Get off the beaten track.

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:57 am

ksolem wrote:
MarthaP wrote: ...and I just might be in shape by then...

There is no "just might." There is only "do."

:wink:

I'm beginning a training cycle now which will put me in great shape by March. We'll have to get guyzo and his new waistline out to Joshua Tree then. I'm thinking about that Gray Giant / Fortress trip we've talked about. Get off the beaten track.

If that's a challenge, I accept!

Next

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander