The Rainbow Wall, Regular Route

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
crewdoglm

The Rainbow Wall, Regular Route

by crewdoglm » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:39 am

Can anyone speak to the present condition of this route? It was originally graded V 5.9 A4 per the Urioste guide and subsequently downgraded to A2 because multiple bolts were added for a "free" ascent. These bolts were chopped in the late 90's roughly coincident with the publication of Swain book AKA "the dilettante's guide to the Red Rocks." Anyway, if anyone has done this recently I'd like to know your impressions.

CClaude

by CClaude » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:30 pm

If taken as a free route, its 5.12a G. The gear is pretty good (except I did the Rainbow Country first pitch variation, so I can't tell you about the 2nd pitch of Rainbow Wall Original. Looking ath the gear I'd call it A1 personally, since I thought it was reasonable. Lots of small stuff but its all there. If you do aid it DON'T bring camhooks. There are some blown out sections that looked like someone did use them. The stuff is sandstone and camhooks will blow it out.

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)