Baldy Randonee Race

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
hamik

Baldy Randonee Race

by hamik » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:41 pm

Would any of you be interested in an informal, endurance randonee race on Baldy in the spring? I'm thinking something akin to those of our Italian friends, except with emphasis on it being "unofficial" in light of liabilities and complications with the forest service. If we could get 10-20 skiers from the area, I think it could be quite a lot of fun!

I'm thinking along the lines of arriving at the hut Friday night (not necessarily sleeping inside, but it would be nice) and taking 5 laps the next day up the SE ridge, to the summit, and down the broad, gentle slopes of the bowl on skier's left (mostly because I suck at skiing). It's about 1500 ft vertical per lap. We could wand the route and have a timekeeper to make it feel like a real race. Anyone down? Pass along the message!

RickF

by RickF » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:24 am

Hamik,

Your race sounds like fun! I'd be interested if I can get away from other responsibilities on the day of the event. I don't think I'll be good for five laps. Will you consider having a relay division?

SpiderSavage

by SpiderSavage » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:27 am

Sounds like fun! You are reviving an activity that started in the 1930s.

See the History link on this site: http://angeles.sierraclub.org/skimt/

hamik

by hamik » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:04 am

I see no problem with relaying; this is definitely just a "more the merrier" type of thing, so feel welcome even if five laps sounds like a strech. It looks like several people from Pasadena are already interested, and we even have had a timekeeper volunteered! He doesn't know it yet because he's obliviously sleeping at Piedra Grande in anticipation of a long walk tomorrow morning, but I think he'll be a good sport :D

Return to California