Snow/Ice Build-up On A/T Skis

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
RickF

Snow/Ice Build-up On A/T Skis

by RickF » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:15 pm

Last weekend I skinned up a couple of miles, took off my skins and started descending. I skied down a ways then the terrain leveled out a little bit for a short distance, maybe 250 feet. Since it was a short stretch of flat I didn't put skins back on. I just pushed and shuffled until the incline was steep enough to let gravity pull my skis down again. But my skis didn't slide easily anymore. Looking under my skis I found a build-up of snow stuck to the bases. I took a few minutes to scrape it off and then I was able to start skiing again.

Has anyone experienced this?
Do you think it was just due to the heavy wet Southern California Snow?
Is there something I can do, or put on the bases of my skis to prevent this?

bird

by bird » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:12 pm

Wax?

RickF

by RickF » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:30 pm

Bird,

Thanks for the response. Is there a particular kind of wax for A/T skis that is compatible with the glue on the skins?

mtngeek

by mtngeek » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:40 am

I've had this same problem before. I had about a two inch thick slab stuck to the bottom of my skis. Waxing took care of the problem for me and haven't had the issue since as long as I keep the skis well waxed. I used just regular all temp wax, nothing special.

I wonder if new skins amplify this problem by being especially sticky as this only occurred when I was using newer skins.

RickF

by RickF » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:43 am

Mtngeek,

Thanks, I'm off to get wax.

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:49 am

RickF wrote:Mtngeek,

Thanks, I'm off to get wax.

While it is definitely a good idea to keep a recent coat of hot wax on your sticks I always carry a small block of rub-on wax in the BC for just such an occasion.

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:25 am

Back when I used to cross-country ski on waxed planks, they had different types of wax to provide the right stick and slip for different conditions. I seem to remember a similar assortment of products for downhill as well - perhaps you can switch composition to better match the snow you're typically on?

oldandslow

Wax

by oldandslow » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:49 am

I have a lot of temperature specific wax in my wax box but the wax manufacturers have gotten really good at making all temperature wax. No doubt the temperature specific wax will still be in my wax box when I die. I like Toko universal. Goodwill and similar second hand stores are a good source for travel irons to use for hot waxing.

no avatar
nhluhr

by nhluhr » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:09 pm

I have always used Swix products so i don't know about Toko Universal, but the Swix F4 definitely "works". There is, however, still a pretty big difference between temp-range wax and universal, especially when you use the universal as just a rub-on versus the hot-waxing with something like Swix CH series waxes.

Is it enough to bother with the range and time spent waxing? Not for most, I would say. I just like to ritualize ski tuning... I start with side/base edge honing, then do a quick planing if they need it, a quick cleaning with that solvent and lint-free paper, then finally a quick hot-wax (which incidentally takes a lot less time than sharpening).

Everything I can find on the web says that skin glue and wax do not interfere with each other... It seems skin glue is made with waxed skis in mind.

Steve Larson

by Steve Larson » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:14 am

If you were in SoCal, another aggravating factor would probably have been temps very near freezing. I've found the problem to be way worse under those conditions. Sticks to your skins, too.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:00 am

It is a common prob...I always take a bar of wax with me in the backcountry

Ed F

by Ed F » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:45 pm

You need to wax. I typically use a swipe-on wax called "Notwax" by a company called Zardoz. It's light enough that it will almost completely wear off after a run or two like you're describing. I usually swipe it on before my first run, and reapply as necessary. Yes, you will decrease skin life with more wax applications, but I don't really think it makes a major difference in skin life. Plus, re-gluing skins is a great test of your patience and personal character. :wink:

Like someone said, you'll have the same thing happen to your skins. I apply the same swipe-on wax to my skins every third tour or so. In addition to preventing what I lovingly call "Frankenstein Foot," it will also speed you up on flat terrain.

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:07 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:Pair of pliers (leatherman etc), a shorty screw driver with the right tip for binding screws, 2 or 3 spare tie wraps (the strong / long ones), duct tape, skin wax, ski wax, - mandatory touring gear imo.

Great advice, couldn't agree more

OJ Loenneker

by OJ Loenneker » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:14 pm

Steve Larson wrote:If you were in SoCal, another aggravating factor would probably have been temps very near freezing. I've found the problem to be way worse under those conditions. Sticks to your skins, too.

You sometimes need to wax your skins too. That way wet gloppy snow or snow that is right around freezing will not stick to the skins.

BD makes this and it work pretty well. I always have some of this in my pack as well as some all temp wax and a cork for the bases.

EManBevHills

by EManBevHills » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:06 pm

I, too, found out the hard way that glop stopper wax needs to be a permanent fixture in my SOCAL ski kit!

Next

Return to Gear