ACME softshell pants - Uncomfortable?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
rruby

ACME softshell pants - Uncomfortable?

by rruby » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:55 pm

I recently purchased some Acme softshell pants from REI for some upcoming snowcamping trips in the Sierra. They fit well at the store, and I was interested in the Shoeller Dryskin fabric they're made of, so I purchased them. However, after getting them home and walking around in them for a few minutes, my legs were itching like crazy. Fortunately, I didn't remove the tags, and may take them back. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem with these. I know that sometimes when things are new, this is a problem. Last year when I got a Patagonia R1 fleece, it also was itchy against my skin, but after wearing it on a trip, the itchiness disappeared.

Thanks

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:48 pm

I have very, very sensitive skin and never had problems with my Acme pants itching.

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:59 pm

Mine are fine as well. I did wash them right after purchase in cold/cold and no issues. Scott

dirth

by dirth » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:29 am

Give them a try for a day outside. Just keep the receipt. If they don't work out just return them. REI takes anything back, and I'm sure "itchiness" is a valid reason.

no avatar
nhluhr

by nhluhr » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:41 pm

I think all new fabrics (even cotton t-shirts) are a bit itchy the first time they are worn...

no avatar
aemter

by aemter » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:41 pm

Maybe they just had scabies. :wink:

no avatar
rruby

by rruby » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:12 pm

That's a good point about scabies. I checked for the little burrows the Sarcoptes scabiei make, and didn't see any on my skin. You never know who was trying on those pants before I did. They are pretty contagious according to a friend of mine who's an infectious disease doctor here at the VA.

I'll probably give them a quick wash, and than try again. I think it's just tht they're new, but I just wanted to see if this was a chronic problem with anyone who owned them.

Thanks for the input. I really don't want to have to take them back. Last year I wore summer hiking pants under a cheap rain pant, and as soon as we started to snowshoe, it got hella warm in them. With all the snow I couldn't take off the rain pants because the hiking pants would've wetted out. The Acme is light, 4-way stretch, and hopefully breathable/water&wind resistant.

Return to Gear