REI Acme Pants and Shoeller Dryskin

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
rruby

REI Acme Pants and Shoeller Dryskin

by rruby » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:03 pm

I've been looking for some softshell pants for some winter backpacking trips this year with the sierra club (Buckeye Hotsprings and Crocker Point), and possibly Mt Shasta (only as far as horsecamp because of the avy issues). Unfortunately, a bad time of the year to look for softshells. The pataguchi alpine guide pants were out of stock everywhere, as were similar models for MH and Arcteryx. Walked into REI yesterday, saw a whole rack of Acme pants, the 32-30s fit great, and that was that.

I had a question about the Shoeller Dryskin fabric. When I asked the salesperson, they didn't seem to know much about it, except that it is more expensive than the material on the mistral pants, hence the substantial price difference. If I'm not mistaken though, I seem to remember reading that the Dryskin (different from Shoeller Dynamic) does not require a laminate or treatment for water resistance, so that there's no requirement for re-treating the fabric. However; it's wind resistance may not be as high. I was disappointed to find that the wind resistance of the Acmes was only 16 mph. Does anyone have any experience with this fabric, and can anyone say if it's the worth the extra cash (though Mammut was really the only other manufacturer I saw using this stuff)?

I started winter camping last year with a setup of cap 3s, summer hiking pants, sierra designs rain pant. I've run marathons in the late 80s, and I have to say, breaking trail with snowshows and full pack in deep snow was the hardest thing I've ever done. The rain pants didn't help. It was like a sauna in there.

Thanks

Deltaoperator17

Re: REI Acme Pants and Shoeller Dryskin

by Deltaoperator17 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:27 pm

rruby wrote:I've been looking for some softshell pants for some winter backpacking trips this year with the sierra club (Buckeye Hotsprings and Crocker Point), and possibly Mt Shasta (only as far as horsecamp because of the avy issues). Unfortunately, a bad time of the year to look for softshells. The pataguchi alpine guide pants were out of stock everywhere, as were similar models for MH and Arcteryx. Walked into REI yesterday, saw a whole rack of Acme pants, the 32-30s fit great, and that was that.

I had a question about the Shoeller Dryskin fabric. When I asked the salesperson, they didn't seem to know much about it, except that it is more expensive than the material on the mistral pants, hence the substantial price difference. If I'm not mistaken though, I seem to remember reading that the Dryskin (different from Shoeller Dynamic) does not require a laminate or treatment for water resistance, so that there's no requirement for re-treating the fabric. However; it's wind resistance may not be as high. I was disappointed to find that the wind resistance of the Acmes was only 16 mph. Does anyone have any experience with this fabric, and can anyone say if it's the worth the extra cash (though Mammut was really the only other manufacturer I saw using this stuff)?

I started winter camping last year with a setup of cap 3s, summer hiking pants, sierra designs rain pant. I've run marathons in the late 80s, and I have to say, breaking trail with snowshows and full pack in deep snow was the hardest thing I've ever done. The rain pants didn't help. It was like a sauna in there.

Thanks

Here are a couple of great Winter Aerobic Activity/Rain/Wind Pants that breathe well and have thigh vents. They are hard shell so you would need a base layer if working hard like full pack in snow or if standing more still add a light wool layer between the base and the pant.

I have the Taku’s and I LOVE them. Nobody sweats more than me going vertical in snowshoes with a heavy pack- They work great!
The Shuksan pants are supposed to be even better!

The fabric on the Shuksan is the new "eVent". Check em out!

Shuksan Pants
http://www.rei.com/product/785694

Taku Pants
http://www.rei.com/product/786842

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:33 pm

RRUBY, I have been climbing in the ACME for years and love them. They are however NOT water-proof. In a light drizzle I stay dry but if you sit on a wet chair lift you may get wet! I tend to later them with a light weight capilene and stay warm and dry. They seem to be wind resistent to about 50 mph (GPS tested on a ski trip!) and are very comfortable. If I am in wetter conditions I slide a hardshell over them and they handle it well. Scott

MNJason

by MNJason » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:22 pm

ScottyP wrote:RRUBY, I have been climbing in the ACME for years and love them. They are however NOT water-proof. In a light drizzle I stay dry but if you sit on a wet chair lift you may get wet! I tend to later them with a light weight capilene and stay warm and dry. They seem to be wind resistent to about 50 mph (GPS tested on a ski trip!) and are very comfortable. If I am in wetter conditions I slide a hardshell over them and they handle it well. Scott

+1 for the ACME. This has been my experience as well.
Although, subjectively, I'd say wind resistant to ~20-30mph. In a hard rain, I started getting wet after a half-hour.

no avatar
rruby

by rruby » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:52 pm

Hi ScottyP,

Yeah, I have a Precip shell for bad weather (wore out my sierra designs shell glissading). The precips should be waterproof, though I've read a couple complaints that the full-zips might leak a little. It sounds like the Acmes work well for people; which I'm happy to hear.

It was on this site that it seemed apparent that many people layer with baselayer and softshell, and they keep the hard shell in their pack unless needed. Particularly for the Sierra. Got much of my info on softshells on this site. Tried on the REI Takus, but they felt stiff and bulky, though they are a hard shell, and this is probably expected.

no avatar
nhluhr

by nhluhr » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:21 pm

I get pretty wet in my Acme pants. Dryskin is really not meant to be waterproof, but rather to speed up wicking. They work great until the fabric wets out and then you're just wet. Likewise with the REI Mistral pants that I have.

I prefer the Mistral personally, because it's more comfortable as a softshell type fabric. If you want a more waterproof option, go with the Taku.

I use all three of the pants mentioned.

Deltaoperator17

by Deltaoperator17 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:12 pm

rruby wrote:Hi ScottyP,

Yeah, I have a Precip shell for bad weather (wore out my sierra designs shell glissading). The precips should be waterproof, though I've read a couple complaints that the full-zips might leak a little. It sounds like the Acmes work well for people; which I'm happy to hear.

It was on this site that it seemed apparent that many people layer with baselayer and softshell, and they keep the hard shell in their pack unless needed. Particularly for the Sierra. Got much of my info on softshells on this site. Tried on the REI Takus, but they felt stiff and bulky, though they are a hard shell, and this is probably expected.

Taku's? They have stretch fabric everywhere in them??????

Return to Gear