Eiger film released in the States this wk

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
adventurer

by adventurer » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:06 pm

My wife and I, along with two friends, also saw it at the E Street Cinema in DC on Friday night. We caught the 7pm show and it's a good thing we had purchased tickets in advance because the show was sold out.

The death of Tony Kurz was depicted pretty close to how it was described by Heinrich Harrer in " The White Spider" except, of course, for the presence of Tony's girlfriend which was apparently just for dramatization in the movie.

Tonka

by Tonka » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:01 pm

Just saw it last Friday at the free REI showing here in Minneapolis. Not the best place to watch a movie as the conference room floor is flat so there was a lot of looking around the two fat guys in front of us. We did like the movie but felt compelled to go straight home and research what really happened. What's really cool is my GF and I are heading to Switzerland the end of May so it got us a little excited. I think I will be doing a lot of reading in the coming months about the Eiger. Very neat history.

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:40 pm

Well, well, well......two ships cross in the night....I went to the 7:05 at the E street cinema show as well... fancy that. We had horrible seats. We were in the 2nd to front row. My neck still hurts from looking up! We had our 2 kids with us. huge mistake. I thought it was going to be much tamer than it was. (ooopsie)

~~~~ Tonka, there is a good book out on the Eiger called "The White Spider" (fyi) it gives a history of the Eiger. Very readable.

seano

by seano » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:17 pm

adventurer wrote:The death of Tony Kurz was depicted pretty close to how it was described by Heinrich Harrer in " The White Spider" except, of course, for the presence of Tony's girlfriend which was apparently just for dramatization in the movie.
Thanks to the girlfriend, I assumed that most of the death scene was BS. Then I researched it and found out that -- incredible though it was -- it was mostly true. It was disappointing that the directors added a Mandatory Romantic Interest to what was already an interesting story.

adventurer

by adventurer » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:42 pm

tigerlilly,

Funny, after the Theatre guy did his talk just before the movie started, I briefly thought about jumping up and asking if there were any other SPers in attendance.

If you take your kids out to hike Old Rag and they get nervous on the rock scramble, you'll know why! :lol: :lol:

nattfodd

by nattfodd » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:55 pm

What really disappointed me was that they changed Kurz's last words, from the famous "Ich kann nicht mehr." (I can do no more), to something much more mundane.

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:38 pm

saw this film in the theater a couple of days ago. must see for sure. probably just as good if not better than Touching the Void.

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:41 am

Hey Adventurer, it's always cool to meet SP'ers. (next time speak up!!!!!!)

I'm hoping the movie doesn't have a lasting negative impact on my little buddie. Luckily, I had them cover their eyes when it got bad.

Which reminds me.....

Q:Does frostbite really set in all black and nasty like that after just one day? My experience (tip of my nose) was that it turned chalk WHITE for several days then black...but it took several days for the black skin to show up. The only part of the movie I thought was a bit overdone was the frostbite.

These guys were black like they had been tossed into the campfire with my marshmallows. :shock:

adventurer

by adventurer » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:39 pm

As is the case with burns, the severity of frostbite is expressed in degrees or stages. Third degree (stage) frostbite causes permanent skin damage and turns the skin black. A person gets third degree frostbite either from prolonged exposure or exposure to extremely low temps for a shorter time.

Previous

Return to General