South Colony Road

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Alan Ellis

South Colony Road

by Alan Ellis » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:21 pm

There is now a permanent closure of South Colony road at 2.6 miles past the lower TH/parking lot (approximately one-half mile past the Rainbow Trail marker). At the closure is a new gate and parking for about 30 vehicles. They also have new designated campsites along the road and are in the process of constructing designated campsites in the basin. The ranger also told me today that eventually, there will be a permit/fee system to access the South Colony area, but that is several years away.

RyanS

Re: South Colony Road

by RyanS » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:50 am

Alan Ellis wrote:The ranger also told me today that eventually, there will be a permit/fee system to access the South Colony area, but that is several years away.

Sounds like we could have another YouTube video from Aaron Johnson in our future ;)

Alan Ellis

by Alan Ellis » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:12 pm

Correction: I think any fees will only apply to campsites, not access. But he said they were only in the "talking about it" stage at this point.

Alan Ellis

by Alan Ellis » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:36 pm

Fees or not, this project has been a long time coming. South Colony basin is one of the most spectacular areas in Colorado, but the impact over the years has been significant. With these new controls, it will hopefully help return it to a relatively prestine state.

Alan Ellis

by Alan Ellis » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:40 am

One of the employees at the Forest Service office in Westcliffe sent me these pics today of the some of the new construction at the new South Colony Trailhead. Taken by the USFS in late fall 2009.

New interpretive signs near the new TH.

New footbridge over the creek crossing about a half mile above the Rainbow TH. Also shown is the new TH register for the new South Colony TH.

Doublecabin

by Doublecabin » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:28 am

As much as I loved the cornucopia of barley pop rock crawlin' up there did for us a few times over the years this is indeed a very good thing. I'm against fees for backcountry camping and parking too. I never have had my Inter Agency Pass questioned for parking though.

Having seen what happened to the Gros Ventre in Wyoming I wondered if Wilderness designation would bring the Sangres unfortunate notoriety. Although Willow and many East side trails can get crowded there's still a lot of solitude in such a wonderful, narrow, rugged, and spectacular Range.

Thanks Alan.

Kane

by Kane » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:30 am

Im fine with it. Been up there enough to understand why the closure. That place has taken a beating in the past 10 years.

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:54 am

The improvements are def needed but I'm sure gonna miss the ruggedness of South Colony Road like in the old days.
Kudos to the FS.

Return to Colorado