Sierra Trip Recommendations in May

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Gumbie

Sierra Trip Recommendations in May

by Gumbie » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:17 pm

Asking the Sierra veterans of SP for some advice...

I'll be in SoCal in late May for business and will give 4 or 5 days of vacation to the mountains. I am somewhat familiar with the Sierra, but need some help figuring where to go, given the late storms and snowpack.

I have some options... (1) Just go to J-Tree, Tahquitz, Owens River Gorge, etc and work on my pathetic rock skills; (2) Pack my skis and hit the B/C; (3) Bag what peaks I can.

Part of the conundrum is I may or may not be able to round up partners, so I need to have some ideas for solos.

To scale my skills: experienced B/C skier and mountaineer, solid on snow, 4th and low cl5.

Any SP suggestions would be very kindly received.

Thanks.

Gumbie

by Gumbie » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:42 pm

1000 Peaks, thanks, I will check out trip report. I'll be moving to San Clemente later this summer, so an definitely interest in peaks closer to home.

Just to clarify...what I am a little concerned about is encountering a heavier than usual snowpack on the approach trails, and icy, wet rock that would normally be dry. I hear that this spring has been very snowy. No big wall soloing for me...the occasional old school 4th class or low 5th class move on dry, sticky rock is plenty for me.

drpw

by drpw » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:38 pm

Have you done Whitney? If there's still a lot of snow pack you could do Whitney and have it almost to yourself, even if it's a weekend. I've only climbed it in the winter and don't think I could do it any other way. Nothing technical but it's the highest in the 48 and insane scenery with snow.

Gumbie

Whitney

by Gumbie » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:37 pm

DRP-I did Whitney as a training run 15 years ago (fifteen years???? Holy crap!!!!), but have not done it under winter conditions. Would this be a ski mountaineering objective in late May?

Gumbie

Great advice

by Gumbie » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:40 pm

Dingus and 1000Pks-Thanks for the great local knowledge. I'm starting to think that I'll be packing skis, skins, boots, rock shoes and chalk bag.

96avs01

Re: Great advice

by 96avs01 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:49 pm

Gumbie wrote:Dingus and 1000Pks-Thanks for the great local knowledge. I'm starting to think that I'll be packing skis, skins, boots, rock shoes and chalk bag.

Sounds like Lone Pine would be a good spot for you. Can always head into Meysan Lakes basin and ski Irvine, Mallory, or both. Can scramble Lone Pine Peak, Thor Peak, Carillon, etc... If you can find a rock partner maybe North Ridge of LPP and some lines in the Alabama Hills.

Of course if you are willing to drive a little further north you can find plenty of BC ski options.

Gumbie

Lone Pine Area

by Gumbie » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:14 pm

96avs01-

I'm thinking that Lone Pine might be the the place. Good places to car camp?

thexcat

by thexcat » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:25 pm

Gumbie, check your inbox, sent you a PM

Return to California