Whitney Lottery / Mt. Russel

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
eboniske

Whitney Lottery / Mt. Russel

by eboniske » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:50 pm

I submitted lottery applications for 2 years in a row now, and both years I did not get a reservation. I listed over 30 date options each time (admittedly, most of those dates were on the weekends).

I would like to reserve a permit this year, so I am looking for some guidance from people who have had success in the lottery. What are the least-requested entry dates, generally? I know that mid-week dates are likely much better than weekends, but which of the weekdays is the best? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Also, is Mt. Russel governed by the same entry quota? I know it is the same trailhead, but I was hoping someone might know of a different way to get a Russel permit without dealing with all of the Whitney climbers.

THANKS!

Diggler

by Diggler » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:57 pm

Just go before or after the lottery dates- the best way to guarantee access is to bypass the system... Less people during these times, & it's way more pristine with the snow & all anyway.

jspeigl

by jspeigl » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:10 pm

eboniske

by eboniske » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:16 pm

thanks. that second link was exactly what i needed.

no avatar
SteveC5088

Re: Whitney Lottery / Mt. Russel

by SteveC5088 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:08 pm

Better late answer than never...

If you don't get a permit in the lottery, walk-in permits are free, and are available practically every day throughout the summer due to no-shows and people with permits releasing some due to their friends dropping out. The unused overnight permits become available at 10 AM on the date-of-entry, and the unused day hike permits become available at 2 PM the day BEFORE the permit date. The ins and outs of getting a walk-in permit are posted here (see box 6): No-Fee Permit Options

And if you check that link for the unused permits above, the numbers show what was left at the END of the day, after all is said and done. So if you get there when the no-shows become available, there are usually more available than people waiting in line.

> Also, is Mt. Russel governed by the same entry quota? I know it is the same trailhead, but I was hoping someone might know of a different way to get a Russel permit without dealing with all of the Whitney climbers.

Mt Russell day hike requires a Main Mt Whitney Trail day hike permit. Overnight on the North Fork Lone Pine Creek (the Mountaineers Route) is a separate non-lottery permit. These are available on request 6 months before your hike, 6 are reservable by phone, and 4 are held back for walk-in requests, available at any Inyo National Forest ranger station at 11 AM the day BEFORE your hike starts.

no avatar
SteveC5088

by SteveC5088 » Mon May 03, 2010 7:41 am

sm451: Good luck getting any changes like that. Seems like restrictions only get tighter.

When Inyo slapped day hike limits on the North Fork Lone Pine Creek, they cited damage to the are BELOW Lower Boy Scout Lake -- which is still legal to day hike without any permits now!

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon May 03, 2010 10:41 pm

Until those that are legally allowed to access the NF Trail via Day or Multi-Day Permit can ALL bring out their used/full WAG BAGS and trash, don't even think of any leniency in the current restrictions.

It is getting worse as each season passes...trust me. The Local USFS Wilderness LEO is becoming impatient and very frustrated at both the WAG BAG/TRASH and Poacher issue.

jspeigl

by jspeigl » Mon May 03, 2010 10:53 pm

The FS put the day hike restriction on the North Fork because many people were using it to circumvent the lottery process for the main trail. Didn't get in the lottery this year? No problem, just dayhike the north fork. Unfortunately, the minorty of us going to Mt. Russell or the East Face routes are caught in the restriction.

Good luck trying to get the Forest Service to change the map. Please include Iceburg Lake and the Whitney-Russell Pass as well for access to Russell's SW side.

Return to California