Portland Area Recommendation

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
Ed F

Portland Area Recommendation

by Ed F » Thu May 06, 2010 8:59 pm

Hi,
I'm looking for a recommendation in the Portland OR area. I have to spend the night in Portland this Friday, but I'm free Saturday until 3pm, when I have to be at Silver Falls State Park, so something in that direction would be best. Since I only have that day, I'd rather not pack lots of gear, but I'm not opposed to checking skis if there's something that sounds great. Other than that, I guess I'm looking for a nice dayhike.

Thanks in advance.
ed

dskoon

by dskoon » Thu May 06, 2010 11:20 pm

Well, there's plenty to do in the opposite direction, ie, north and east, especially the gorge, but, I don't know how much there is to do in between Pdx. and Silver falls. Maybe, Champoeg St. Park. . . Maybe some others will chime in with ideas.
As I said, plenty to do in the gorge, etc. close to Portland. If you were into it, you could leave early, head to the gorge for a hike, and then head south to Silver falls. But, presumably you're hiking in Silver Falls?
Anyway, good luck.

billisfree

by billisfree » Fri May 07, 2010 5:48 am

I do lots of day hikes in the Portland area.

But there's not a lot you can do given you must head to Silver falls. Their are really no good places to hike between Portland and Silver falls. No good ski areas either, given the short time you have to kill.

You might enjoy a drive out to the Columbia Gorge... and take a very short hike there.
Hike 900 feet up to top of Multomah Falls? You can include a nice scenic drive to the Bridge of the Gods.

oldandslow

by oldandslow » Fri May 07, 2010 6:11 am

You could ski at Timberline. Not great skiing about 1 1/2 hours from Portland. Weather forecast--for what its worth-- is not bad for Sunday. Lifts open at 9 am. Should be able to drive to Silver Creek Falls by way of Estacada in about 2 hrs.

Ed F

by Ed F » Fri May 07, 2010 1:35 pm

Thanks for the ideas. It seems like we'll probably just hang around Silver Falls and do some hikes there. My wife is maid of honor at a wedding there, so we decided it might not be wise to push it and fit something in before the wedding far away. No room for error when you've got to be standing next to the bride... :D

calebEOC

by calebEOC » Fri May 07, 2010 3:07 pm

Nice loop trail there if you've never done it, the park is definitely worth seeing.

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)