What to do with 3-days in UT (headed to Zion and Bryce)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:29 pm

Hit Bryce in the morning, take some pretty pictures, and then spend the rest of the trip at Zion. There is much more to do there, both in amount and variety.

For a first-timer, I'd recommend the hikes up Angels Landing and Echo Canyon. Both are likely to be crowded, but they're worth sampling as introductions to the park. The Echo Canyon hike also carries the option of extending it to Observation Point.

jdzaharia

by jdzaharia » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:45 pm

lcarreau wrote:Can the "Tower Bridge" hike be accomplished in 4 hours, or would we need more time ???

http://www.nps.gov/brca/planyourvisit/towerbridge.htm

fatdad

by fatdad » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:00 pm

I'm pretty sure this was the hike we did in Bryce, but in the opposite direction described:

http://www.nps.gov/brca/planyourvisit/qgnavajocombo.htm

Really nice, though I remember it being longer.

BTW, last time I was there I was with my then fiance now wife, who approved of the accomodations at the Zion Lodge. A nice perk for the wife for being a good sport. Bryce Lodge is also supposed to be nice.

NJTripper

by NJTripper » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:51 pm

lcarreau wrote:My wife & I are planning a 1/2-day trip to Bryce Canyon next month.

Can the "Tower Bridge" hike be accomplished in 4 hours, or would we need more time ???

What'd ya go an do that for!? I'm almost sold on the Zion-only trip... then you put up pics like this for Bryce?? You're killing me! :wink:

Seriously... I've been to Red Rocks (awsome) and plan on spending some time there 'while' I'm in Vegas... Turtlehead is calling....

ColoradoScott

by ColoradoScott » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:24 am

My 2 cents: Stick with Zion Mid-May unless it is unbearably hot; we've hiked in Bryce (Navajo Loop and Fairyland Loop - both recommended highly - But I prefer the diversity of Zion.

My wife and I spent a week in Zion in early May about 10 years ago- it's a nice time of year to be there. Our itinerary was:
1) hike to Double Arch (Alcoves, really) in Kolob section - a nice hike but I'd skip Kolob area with only 3 days;
2) Observation Point - very nice trails & wildflowers with great view of Virgin River Gorge - similar to Angels Landing w/o the exposure until at the rim;
3) Off-trail route toward Parunaweep just west of Checkerboard Mesa (follow the drainage) - great slickrock hiking and very different than west of the tunnel and at higher elevation than the gorge;
4) VR Narrows - we had big-time runoff and did not make it to Orderville Canyon because of chest-deep cold water - Check with the Park's Ranger Station as it may be ok when you are there a bit later and in a different year. We spent the rest of the day doing touristy walks, etc.
5) Lower Desert: A 10 mile lollipop loop up the trail in Coalpits Wash to Scoggins Wash & back - the cacti and other wildflowers were unbelievably gorgeous although the "grand" scenery is absent on this hike - you have to love the true desert micro-climate you are hiking through, but it was a fantastic hike despite it being 90 degrees F.

Have fun - I'll be on the South Carolina coast this May but would prefer S. Utah.

rasgoat

by rasgoat » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:35 am

Zion Zion Zion

NJTripper

by NJTripper » Sat May 08, 2010 3:12 pm

Ed F wrote:...
Here's a tip: if you do Zion, find a Ranger and ask him how to get to "Petroglyph Canyon." They don't publicize it much, but it's in the east part of the park near the highway, and it's a very short and easy hike...

That sounds interesting... but critical question... Is P/C east or west of the tunnel?

Reason being... they are doing highway const from tunnel eastward... and are forecasting ~major~ delays on all traffic... If this is east of tunnel... it'll have to wait for a future trip...

Previous

Return to Utah