13 year-old on Everest

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
Charles

by Charles » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:50 am

Husker wrote:
Bob Sihler wrote: By every account I've ever seen, truchas is totally cool in person.

+1

I can vouch for this! I've shared several summits with him! Great guy! Some on this site aren't worthy of his presence.

Never met him, but I could vouch for you vouching for him.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:52 am

Husker wrote:OH Tribe!!! Foolish me! And all this time I thought you were all bragging about being a hierarchy of tripe.

:lol:

WTF is this "hierarchy" shit anyway? Do some people here really think they are above or better than others here? :roll: :lol:

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:56 am

Day Hiker wrote:
Husker wrote:OH Tribe!!! Foolish me! And all this time I thought you were all bragging about being a hierarchy of tripe.

:lol:

WTF is this "hierarchy" shit anyway. Do some people here really think they are above or better than others here? :roll: :lol:

When my resume is impressive, like 5 years from now- yea, I'm rising to the top.

Top of what................I don't know

Charles

by Charles » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:07 am

Lolli wrote:He's just being properly introduced. Now he'll feel like one of use, bruised and battered.

:D

...and learning the hierarchy of the tribe.
:wink:

Hierarchy (with or without :wink: )? There is no hierarchy here, or shouldn´t be.

Ejnar Fjerdingstad

by Ejnar Fjerdingstad » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:05 pm

And according to Cassell's Concise English Dictionary, those belonging to a tribe may be called "tribeswomen" and "tribesmen". But seriously, what is needed here is a tribometer!

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:11 pm

I'm trying to figure out why I keep coming back to this thread. In the hope that things will get back to the original topic? Or is it for the same reason that people can't resist taking a peek as they drive by a horrible accident on the highway?

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:50 pm

phxphotog wrote:
MikeTX wrote:y'all are taking this shit way too seriously.

i just thought it needed saying.

Fixed it for ya. :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Beat me to it, but you forgot the caps.

This thread is about to go poof.

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:57 pm

NancyHands wrote:This thread is about to go poof.

Yup.

I know Rob already used it, but it does make me LOL.

no avatar
Husker

Intermission

by Husker » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:24 am

Charles

by Charles » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:25 am

Chewbacca wrote:
Lolli wrote:Finally, you don't like that I use the word "tribe". Tough. Learn to live with it. Tribe is a neutral word, definition by Webster: "a group of persons having a common character, occupation, or interest".
You're first saying that you haven't chosen sides, then conveniently trying to twist history, to make it appear as something else than it is. Conveniently forgetting how that debate occurred - and the agenda behind it.

There is a need for this site to move on and leave PnP and everything that happened there behind. I think people are fed up about discussing who started what and who is most to blame. It would however be useful if everyone, you included, gave no more references or hints to debates which ended with people being banned and/or caused bad feelings. Consider it your contribution to the better of this site.

But I somehow don't think this is not going to happen and we will continuously be reminded of and revisiting issues best left forgotten.

+1

dskoon

by dskoon » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:09 pm

charles wrote:
Chewbacca wrote:
Lolli wrote:Finally, you don't like that I use the word "tribe". Tough. Learn to live with it. Tribe is a neutral word, definition by Webster: "a group of persons having a common character, occupation, or interest".
You're first saying that you haven't chosen sides, then conveniently trying to twist history, to make it appear as something else than it is. Conveniently forgetting how that debate occurred - and the agenda behind it.

There is a need for this site to move on and leave PnP and everything that happened there behind. I think people are fed up about discussing who started what and who is most to blame. It would however be useful if everyone, you included, gave no more references or hints to debates which ended with people being banned and/or caused bad feelings. Consider it your contribution to the better of this site.

But I somehow don't think this is not going to happen and we will continuously be reminded of and revisiting issues best left forgotten.

+1

+100

Lolli

by Lolli » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:57 pm

I have a very easy solution to your all's problem:
Pretend I don't exist.
The urge to tell me this or that will go away and legitimate threads won't be destroyed.

I will do the same.

When the moon is in the Seventh House
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars

no avatar
Zzyzx

by Zzyzx » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:47 am

Lolli wrote:I will do the same.

You will pretend that you don't exist?

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:43 am

Zzyzx wrote:

What is your opinian about this topic ?

no avatar
Zzyzx

by Zzyzx » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:12 am

Mihai Tanase wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:

What is your opinian about this topic ?

Which topic? Lolli's existence or a 13-year old climbing Everest?
I don't care much about the former, I was just curious what exactly her statement meant.

As far as the 13-year old kid goes, I think it's an irresponsible decision on part of the parents, specifically the father. Climbing is about a personal fulfillment, but in this case it's all about publicity. When you make a big deal about being the youngest, the oldest, the tallest, the shortest or whatever else, to climb 7 peaks / Everest it becomes more about recognition of others and finding sponsors than doing what you are passionate about.
The risk on Everest would be much higher than on Denali because of all the physiological effects at this altitude and very limited possibilities of a rescue when something goes wrong.
This kid may be a very good mountaineer for his age and strongly motivated, but he simply doesn't have enough life experience to understand all the risk involved in it. Is being the youngest to summit worth the possibility of not just dying but also living with the consequences of a severe frostbite, such as loosing your fingers, toes, hands, feet or the nose?
If it really was about personal fulfillment you'd enjoy it regardless of whether you so it at the age of 13 or 25 or 50 and regardless of whether the whole world knows about it or not. If I wish I'd started climbing when I was 13 it's because I'd have so much more time to climb so much more, not because I'd be the youngest to summit whatever peaks I could summit.
Last edited by Zzyzx on Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to News