13 year-old on Everest

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:02 am

Zzyzx wrote:
Mihai Tanase wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:
Lolli wrote:I will do the same.

You will pretend that you don't exist?

What is your opinian about this topic ?

Which topic? ...13-year old climbing Everest?

kozman18

by kozman18 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:19 pm

Zzyzx wrote:As far as the 13-year old kid goes, I think it's an irresponsible decision on part of the parents, specifically the father. Climbing is about a personal fulfillment, but in this case it's all about publicity. When you make a big deal about being the youngest, the oldest, the tallest, the shortest or whatever else, to climb 7 peaks / Everest it becomes more about recognition of others and finding sponsors than doing what you are passionate about.

The risk on Everest would be much higher than on Denali because of all the physiological effects at this altitude and very limited possibilities of a rescue when something goes wrong.
This kid may be a very good mountaineer for his age and strongly motivated, but he simply doesn't have enough life experience to understand all the risk involved in it. Is being the youngest to summit worth the possibility of not just dying but also living with the consequences of a severe frostbite, such as loosing your fingers, toes, hands, feet or the nose?
If it really was about personal fulfillment you'd enjoy it regardless of whether you so it at the age of 13 or 25 or 50 and regardless of whether the whole world knows about it or not. If I wish I'd started climbing when I was 13 it's because I'd have so much more time to climb so much more, not because I'd be the youngest to summit whatever peaks I could summit.

Agreed -- a 13 year old doesn't have the perspective to accept the risk in a meaningful way. Well put.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:33 pm

kozman18 wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:As far as the 13-year old kid goes, I think it's an irresponsible decision on part of the parents, specifically the father. Climbing is about a personal fulfillment, but in this case it's all about publicity. When you make a big deal about being the youngest, the oldest, the tallest, the shortest or whatever else, to climb 7 peaks / Everest it becomes more about recognition of others and finding sponsors than doing what you are passionate about.

The risk on Everest would be much higher than on Denali because of all the physiological effects at this altitude and very limited possibilities of a rescue when something goes wrong.
This kid may be a very good mountaineer for his age and strongly motivated, but he simply doesn't have enough life experience to understand all the risk involved in it. Is being the youngest to summit worth the possibility of not just dying but also living with the consequences of a severe frostbite, such as loosing your fingers, toes, hands, feet or the nose?
If it really was about personal fulfillment you'd enjoy it regardless of whether you so it at the age of 13 or 25 or 50 and regardless of whether the whole world knows about it or not. If I wish I'd started climbing when I was 13 it's because I'd have so much more time to climb so much more, not because I'd be the youngest to summit whatever peaks I could summit.

Agreed -- a 13 year old doesn't have the perspective to accept the risk in a meaningful way. Well put.

And whats next for this kid? If he completes this, whats going to be his next goal? To summit all 8000 meter peaks and be the youngest? Now thats different because allot of those mountains actually take a life time of experience and knowledge to climb. Hes going to think hes super man if he completes Everest as planned.

Any further news on his eligibility with China in allowing him to climb?

Ejnar Fjerdingstad

by Ejnar Fjerdingstad » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:28 pm

I can only say this, when my boy was 13 I would much rather have had that he had sex with an attractive female teacher, than try climbing Everest. (My wife agrees.) At least there would be no physical damage, and any mental damage is more of a postulate. While with Everest you never can tell if the weather suddenly turns as bad as it did in 1996, and then he might not even survive. Still his father will not be punished even if that happens!

Charles

by Charles » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:37 am

Ejnar Fjerdingstad wrote:I can only say this, when my boy was 13 I would much rather have had that he had sex with an attractive female teacher, than try climbing Everest. (My wife agrees.) At least there would be no physical damage, and any mental damage is more of a postulate. While with Everest you never can tell if the weather suddenly turns as bad as it did in 1996, and then he might not even survive. Still his father will not be punished even if that happens!

What, your wife also wanted to have sex with an atractive female teacher?

Ejnar Fjerdingstad

by Ejnar Fjerdingstad » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:09 am

charles wrote:
Ejnar Fjerdingstad wrote:I can only say this, when my boy was 13 I would much rather have had that he had sex with an attractive female teacher, than try climbing Everest. (My wife agrees.) At least there would be no physical damage, and any mental damage is more of a postulate. While with Everest you never can tell if the weather suddenly turns as bad as it did in 1996, and then he might not even survive. Still his father will not be punished even if that happens!

I think "that he had" is quite unambiguous!

Charles

by Charles » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:02 pm

Ejnar Fjerdingstad wrote:
charles wrote:

quite

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:34 pm

charles wrote:
charles wrote:

quite

Don't back off the joke, charles. "He had" is quite unambiguous but "my wife agrees" is not unambiguous.

Charles

by Charles » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:18 pm

Arthur Digbee wrote:
charles wrote:
charles wrote:

quite

Don't back off the joke, charles. "He had" is quite unambiguous but "my wife agrees" is not unambiguous.

Quite!

Ejnar Fjerdingstad

by Ejnar Fjerdingstad » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:17 pm

Arthur Digbee wrote:
charles wrote:
charles wrote:

quite

I can't see that, please explain!

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:58 am

politics aside you gotta admit the technology they have running is quite awesome..
http://www.jordanromero.com/2010/04/liv ... n-everest/

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:29 am

wow. that is impressive technology - true.

It has a nauseating feel to me for some reason, too..... (must be the altitude!)

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Sun May 16, 2010 12:56 am

At ABC Today

here

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Sun May 16, 2010 1:00 am

ScottyP wrote:politics aside you gotta admit the technology they have running is quite awesome..
http://www.jordanromero.com/2010/04/liv ... n-everest/

It's similar to Pasaban's site

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Fri May 21, 2010 1:31 am

Well, the weather is holding up. They're at Camp 1. A carry up to Camp 2.

PreviousNext

Return to News