Wonderland Trail alternative?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
Nelson

by Nelson » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:18 pm

Tom, we may yet try what you did. Glad to hear that it worked. We will certainly keep the entire Wonderland on our bucket list.

slowfoto, thanks for the pbase link. I've added that to my Wonderland favorites folder for reference. Nice stuff.

no avatar
Wastral

by Wastral » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:37 am

Nelson wrote:Tom, we may yet try what you did. Glad to hear that it worked. We will certainly keep the entire Wonderland on our bucket list.

slowfoto, thanks for the pbase link. I've added that to my Wonderland favorites folder for reference. Nice stuff.

I know you already have your destination, but...

Go around Glacier Peak in Glacier Peak Wilderness. It was to be part of the North Cascades National Park but at the time it was not included becasue there was no such thing as designated roadless wilderness areas and no one wanted roads put into this area as would happen if it became a National Park. Go around Glacier Peak. Start at Trinity and come back to trinity. See Everything from Old Growth forests to Glaciers, high passes and flower riddled basins. Got to ford two major creeks though. Well rivers. The Napequa River and the Chiwawa River, though where you ford them they aren't very big at all.

IF you don't like fording creeks:
Drive to Phelps Creek Basin and go over Spider Pas and over to Chiwawa Lake. Holden lake, Suiattle pass, cloudy pass. Image Lake. Buck Creek Pass then back to your car for a nifty 5-7 days. Or make it longer by going to Canyon Lake and Garden Pass and Dome Peak/Gunsight Peak or climb Mt. Martin from Holden Lake or Mount Maude from Phelps Creek Meadows. OR take the High route of out Buck creek Pass over Liberty Cap and around the iceberg ladden cirque of trinity lake in august and september beleow Napequa beak and go under mt. Berge and down the its shoulder and cross Chiwawa creek back onto Buck Creek Pass trail. This later part requires some off trail navigation skills but it is worth it in spades! Took several parties from Ohio that way before and they all had there jaws dropping on the ground. Its like a mini enchantments basin up there with the larch. I almost don't dare say it. Though I doubt most anyone will go that direction as it requires some class 2 scrambling and route finding skills and the willingness to bushwach for a couple of miles. Do it going DOWNhill if you are going to do it. IE the way I describe. NOT UPHILL. IE opposite the way I describe. YOu will be so much happier.

B

Nelson

by Nelson » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:32 pm

Wastral, Thanks very much for taking the time for writing up those details. I have got it filed away and printed out for future reference. I am now quite interested in the Glacier Peak Wilderness. Appreciate the further info.

Previous

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)