GPS for a dog?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:58 am

The dog should learn to use a map and compass!

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:37 am

The dog should learn how to mow the lawn ????

peakhugger

by peakhugger » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:04 pm

tigerlilly wrote:Is that the smallest they come? Seems pretty big. There is nothing smaller?

they're not that big:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=15512#specsTab

at 250g, you're dog probably won't even notice it if he's over 40 lbs.

another option (within cell coverage, as some have eluded to above):
http://www.zoombak.com/products/pet/

these are only 70g...

on the other hand, if you're out in the woods and your dog is off leash (and not under strict voice control), he may be liable to chase, harass, or consume wildlife (or be consumed himself!) unethical in my opinion (and to many - see Principle 6)

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:52 pm

Can you give us a little more information where you would use said device?

Most hand-held GPS units are just receivers; the Garmin dog unit also must have a transmitter, which takes up extra mass.

Cell phones transmit a small "here I am signal" that doesn't have to be that strong, on the assumption that there are cell towers nearby. In areas with good cell coverage, cell phones now use GPS assisted by cell-tower triangulation (aGPS), which is much more useful in urban canyons. As alluded above, many cell phones can be used with apps that track the whereabouts. Just remember that most cell phones are easily damaged by water and rough use, whereas most field GPS units are hardened and waterproof. So you can't just stick a human-intended cel phone on your dog's neck.

Probably near DC, aGPS is more reliable than the heavier GPS collar. Check the coverage map:
http://www.zoombak.com/coverage/

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:33 pm

GPS for dogs won't work. I am pretty sure of that.

I got one for our cat and it found it's paws were too big to operate the buttons.

Although I have never owned a dog I think the basics are the same as a cat, (you shove food in one end, then try and get it outside the house before it comes out the other end), I am fairly sure the same problem will occur.

Someone mentioned a map and compass. That may possibly work if dogs are more intelligent than cats, as I could never get over the concept of "True North" and "Magnetic North" to our cat.

Hope the above helps Tiger Lilly.

rhyang

by rhyang » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:36 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:16 pm

One problem with GPS and dogs: dogs are unable to understand the concept of spare batteries. Some humans share this affliction. Thus if the dog is descending in the middle of a whiteout, and the batteries run out, s/he won't know what to do, and will probably chew a hole in the nearest sleeping bag out of frustration.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:19 pm

tigerlilly wrote:I don't know. People lose dogs all the time around here. I lost one on a hike today in the woods, but found the beastie.

Someone should make an iphone app for lost dogs... with a teensie tiny gps unit you can attach to the collar. When you lose your dog on a hike, pull out your iphone and voila. Rover is in the parking lot at the head of the trail waiting for you. :-D

Dogs shouldn't be running loose in the woods. That's very inconsiderate of of other hikers who might not want to deal with your dog. It's also inconsiderate of wildlife; loose dogs will run deer and kill them. :roll:

Someone should make a collar for dog owners that shocks them when the dog gets too far away. :wink:

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:20 pm

Bryan Benn wrote:Someone mentioned a map and compass. That may possibly work if dogs are more intelligent than cats, as I could never get over the concept of "True North" and "Magnetic North" to our cat.

Being a cat person I know for a fact they can use a map, compass and GPS. They just don't care about anyone other than themselves and will come back whenever they feel like it. :lol:

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:21 am

Buz Groshong wrote:
tigerlilly wrote:I don't know. People lose dogs all the time around here. I lost one on a hike today in the woods, but found the beastie.

Someone should make an iphone app for lost dogs... with a teensie tiny gps unit you can attach to the collar. When you lose your dog on a hike, pull out your iphone and voila. Rover is in the parking lot at the head of the trail waiting for you. :-D

Dogs shouldn't be running loose in the woods. That's very inconsiderate of of other hikers who might not want to deal with your dog. It's also inconsiderate of wildlife; loose dogs will run deer and kill them. :roll:

Someone should make a collar for dog owners that shocks them when the dog gets too far away. :wink:

I agree with all of this with the following caveat: Badly trained dogs do shit like that. Assholes that raise their dogs like that should be shocked, 220 V. I've seen well trained "Town and Country" dogs who are well behaved in any surroundings.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:08 am

Cats ask for directions.

On da other hand, DOGS usually don't care 'bout directions. Day depend on their owner!

Yep, seen it happen 'many-a-time' in da woods.

Unless, of course, we're referring to Data's cat "Spot."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-7s2PAxsww

Ejnar Fjerdingstad

by Ejnar Fjerdingstad » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:14 am

Think what a dictatorship might do with this (for humans). Know where everybody is all the time!

But of course at least North Korea is probably too poor to afford it!

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:00 pm

I'm not sure if North Korea has dogs - just cats !!!

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:33 pm

Ejnar Fjerdingstad wrote:Think what a dictatorship might do with this (for humans). Know where everybody is all the time!

But of course at least North Korea is probably too poor to afford it!

Not only dictatorships. I believe many US citizens worry about their own government keeping tabs on them and they have the money. Personally, I couldn't give a shit because I'm just not that important in the grand scheme of things.

PreviousNext

Return to General